Dandruff On My Black Hound

Guest ChelseyQ

Guest ChelseyQ

for all of you proud parents with black hounds how do you keep their coats so shiny? kinzie has a bad case of dandruff which you can see pretty well on him. im not sure if its his food? or is there a certian shampoo i should use? any advice? thanks!

I use EicosaDerm for Wayne and it's works great for him. It's 3 squirts in his food daily.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytkidsmom

How long have you had Kinzie?

Dandruff when a dog is fresh off the track is pretty common.

We give our black beauty fish oil capsules (2 twice a day) and always get compliments on her sheen.

She was a snowy mess when we got her - it took a good 4-6 months before her coat really started to shine.

When we do bathe her, we use an aloe and oatmeal shampoo.

I use Fish Oil also. Mine get it in their breakfast and dinner every day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest tumeria33

Isis has the same issue. We adopted her in February. We have been adding the oil too. It has helped give her a glossier coat but the dandruff is still there.

Guest ChelseyQ

i got him about 2 weeks ago, but hes been off the track for atleaset since december cause he was in the prison program. i had the oatmeal shampoo from a previous dog that i will use. but were still mastering getting into the bath tub thing haha, baby steps i guess. i already have fish oil tablets, so i will try them. should i just give it to him whole?

Guest Energy11

Oakly gets a bit "flaky" every now and then. I give them vegetable oil in their food twice a day. I also use a conditioning spray with moisturizers when I groom, which is about twice a week. He looks pretty good now.

Good luck with the flakes!

Yes, you can just give the fish oil whole. Most dogs will gobble them up with their food; a few dogs won't and then you have to serve with a little blob of peanutbutter or else puncture and squirt the oil in the food. It can take a good 6 weeks for fish oil to make a difference. This time of year you're also likely to see some dandruff due to shedding.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest benson

It's that time of year. When my dogs start to shed they get dandruff too. As the others have said fish oil capsules will help. My black houndie thinks they're treats so he eats them like candy. He likes to bite down so they pop in his mouth.

Guest fatesrelease

Yep, fish oil tablets as well. Sarah will just eat the whole thing. When we adopted her it was really bad. We've had her for almost two months now. *gasp!* and since giving her the fish oil her coat is so much softer and smoother without the little white flakes everywhere.

Guest ChelseyQ

thanks for the suggestions! i tried the fish oil tablets today after breakfacst and he didnt quite like them whole with peanut butter cause it popped in his mouth. but tonight ill just squeeze it in his food

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Brush, brush, brush and brush some more :)

By brushing a hound it will help simulate the natural oils in their skin and help the coat as well.

At the same time your helping to get rid of the loose hair from shedding and it's a great bonding time as well.

Here we use a shedding blade, with the fine teeth but also a zoom groom works well, curry comb (while not really a comb) or even a soft bristle horse brush works well.

Fish Oil caps are always good too but brushing is where it's at :D

Lizzie, my little black girl, had a horrible coat when she arrived 5 years go. A good diet, fish oil caps and lots of brushing has her shiny and slick. It didn't happen overnight...it took months. When you bathe Kinzie, make sure you get all of the shampoo rinsed out...it takes me a while with Lizzie. She tends to dry out over the winter so she's usually a little flaky in the spring. A good bath and lots of brushing gets her back in shape in no time!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Do you feed the dogs fish oil even if their food says that it contains Omega 3? I've noticed that Bea's started to go a little flaky and her fur is a bit dull, but so far I haven't given her any extra fish oil because her dry food claims to have all the essential oils.