I Can't Believe I'm Asking About Poop.

Our favorite topic ---- POOP. :rolleyes: My greys have been on the same food for over a year, and do very well on it. Last Saturday - on poop patrol - I encountered only poop puddles, not actual log looking piles. (sorry to be crude, but you get the point) :unsure Since then I've been checking the yard daily and - yep - it's all pudding puddles.

Neither of the dogs have Big D .... just pudding poop. So - what would cause 2 dogs - in their normal situation - eating their normal food - to all of a sudden go from well-formed poops, to pudding poops?

And they both act fine. No extra "need" to urgently go out, eating just fine, health fine, etc. :blink:

Did you just open a new bag of food by any chance? If so, then it's probably just a batch variation and things will correct themselves in a few days. If not, I'd probably bring a sample of the pudding in to the Vet and have it checked for worms and giardia. If one dog caught something, the other probably got it as well.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Did you just open a new bag of food by any chance? If so, then it's probably just a batch variation and things will correct themselves in a few days. If not, I'd probably bring a sample of the pudding in to the Vet and have it checked for worms and giardia. If one dog caught something, the other probably got it as well.

Good thought- but no - I buy 50lb bags of food - and we're 3/4 through this bag. So they've been eating this bag for 2 weeks probably before the trouble started.

Could be worms, I guess - but they haven't been anywhere in months..... But ..... we did have a foster last year that came with hookworm.... and if I remember my research correctly hookworm can go into the soil???? And now the weather's gotten warmer - would that make worms more active if they're in my yard and re-infect my dogs? Almost a year later?

Do you have a bird bath? I took mine down when my pups had spells of diarrhea after drinking from it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Hummmm... that is a tough one!!

Sounds to me like they ate something, maybe outside, that they shouldn't have, that upset their GI tract. Might want to try a bland diet for a few days, and give some plain yogert and mix with plain pumpkin. That MIGHT help!. Poopy problems are NEVER fun!

Good Luck! D

Did you or your neighbors put down any lawn pesticide or fertilizer, maybe lime? I found that even though my previous landscaper used a pet friendly product - it caused my dog to get an upset GI system for a few days.

But ..... we did have a foster last year that came with hookworm.... and if I remember my research correctly hookworm can go into the soil???? And now the weather's gotten warmer - would that make worms more active if they're in my yard and re-infect my dogs? Almost a year later?

Hookworms have the ability to encyst themselves, both in the soil and in the body, and emerge when they feel like it. So a year later is not a stretch for them. Hope it's not that.

We had it happen that both our dogs started refusing food from a 3/4-used bag of kibble that had been fine up until then. Got a new bag of the same kind and they were fine with that. We figured the first bag wasn't fresh enough to last until it was used up. Maybe a new bag is in order?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok this is going to sound very far fetched, have you had a lot of rain lately? Maybe the rain is "melting" the poop? I know, dumb thought, just thought I would throw it out there.

Guest KyGrey

It could be just about anything really. Have they had a change in treats or had a new one that they had while out somewhere? Change of food can do it. Stress can do it. It could be so many things. I hope you figure out what it is. I worry when any of mine are "off" for any reason.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Generally speaking, if I find that one/both of the dogs have diarrhea or soft poops, it's because they ate something they shouldn't.

This includes uncooked rice, birds and other wildlife, trash from the trash can...

So is it possible they got into something or ate something that you don't know about?

Guest momz

Watch out for MUSHROOMS!!!!! We've had tons of rain lately and Ziggy runs out to the yard searching for his shroom treats. I have to be super careful after rainy periods - they can pop up overnight. :wacko:

Lots of good input - THANKS! I'd almost decided that it HAD to be worms - nothing else fit - but didn't have a chance to take sample to the vet yet - then - a couple days after posting - the poops miraculously were normal again!

I've been checking the yard daily and scooping up everything- for days it was pudding poops - then - one day - it was all well-formed poops. Perfect poops for 4 days now.

I dunno. Probably they got into "somthing". They're notrious "killers" - and no mouse, rabbit, mole or bird - is safe in our yard. They certainly could've killed and eaten a critter. Or gotten into the trash - the do that if they get the chance. Ususally NOTHING upsets their stomachs - but apparently SOMETHING did!

And they never acted sick at all. I'm still going to grab a stool sample from each and drop it off at the vets. It's been over a year since they've been checked - so worms are always a possiblily - especially with as many foster as have been though here.

But - for now - the pups are fine again. Thanks everyone!!!

Guest roaree
Last Saturday - on poop patrol - I encountered only poop puddles, not actual log looking piles. (sorry to be crude, but you get the point) :unsure

I know what you mean. Here we call that a Mr whippy when what we really want is charcoal briquette.

Guest RooCroo

Tough one. Pudding poo happens, and sometimes we never know why! Sometimes our guys get it when the weather changes, when they eat other dogs' poo; when they catch a bird, mouse, or other yard varmint; change in food or treats; no reason at all.

If the appetite is OK and there is no vomiting, I give some canned pumpkin and don't worry unless it goes on for more than a few days.