Corneal Abrasion

Guest Juliagulia630

Guest Juliagulia630

Hello all! Last week my greyhound James was visiting my parents and their pack (3 dogs) while my husband and I were on vacation. My parents called us saying that James' third eyelid was covering most of his eye and that his eye was watering. We told them to get it checked out at their vet. Their vet stained his eye and found a corneal abrasion. They gave my parents neomycin ointment to apply 3x/day for 3 days. They think he got a tail in the eye or some debris and he scratched it with his duclaw while trying to rub it out. His eye looked better when we came to get him this weekend. But we are still noticing his third eyelid closing and watering when he is sleepy and when he first wakes up (since he is a greyhound, that accounts for 90% of his day :rolleyes: ). Does anyone know if this is the course of recovery? It's been a week since he saw the vet. I have an appointment for him on Friday with our vet. Does it just need more time to heal?

Guest guinness_the_greyt

My Harley boy (worlds most amazing mutt) had this happen when I took him to my parents house in Michigan. My nephews and I had him out in the woods running around and the vet suspected he had a weed scratch his cornea. I remember we went back to the vet after 14days for a recheck. I know he was better by then... but it definitely needed more then 1 week to heal.

Good luck!

It depends on how deep the ulcer is. Also it's critical no bacteria or fungus gets in there because that can be serious if left untreated. It sound like James doesn't have either but if his eye is still the same, I would recommend a referral to an Opthomologist just to be sure.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I went through this in January with Jake. I would take him back to have it re checked. Sometimes it isn't tacking down and they can smooth the edges (after freezing) with a cotton swab. Jake ended up needing to have his cornea hatched. Basically the vet scratches the cornea with a fine needle. This promotes even healing. I wrapped the dew claw on his leg so he couldn't scratch his eye with it. It took Jake's eye almost 6 weeks to heal completely, he needed 2 hatchings done since he managed to scratch it again just as the first abrassion healed.

I hope your boy heals quickly.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Becki

Axel had his corneal abrasion the second day he was home. It sounds similar to the course he followed, but he was evaluated by the vet every three or four days to make sure it was healing properly.

Time to take him to an Eye Vet. And seriously consider getting an E-collar until the eye is completely healed.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****