Limping

Guest kar

Guest kar

Scotch has started limping a bit on walks. He is five years old. Do I have to worry about osteo? He goes to the vet next saturday.

Limping can be many things, but hounds can also get osteo at a young age. :( Check his pads and between the toes carefully. If limping continues past 3 days, would get to a vet and do x-rays. Hoping it's something simple... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Energy11

Yes, Greys can get Osteo at a young age. A friend just lost hers at 7 from it, BUT, as the last poster said, give it a few days, and see. CORNS make them limp horribly! My Staggerlee has corns, and boy, he hates to walk without his booties and socks on.

Don't think the worst yet! But, yes, after a few days, I'd get x-rays just to be safe.

Good Luck!

Guest greydogluvr

Check for hard spots on his pads. This may indicate an developing corn. But I would have a vet check just in case. I pray it is something simple :hope

I too would follow up with the vet. ALL 4 of mine had severe limps at one time or another.

It was Polli who was diagniosed with OS @ 9.5.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MyNellyBean

My girl has been limping for almost 36 hours now, pretty badly. I could tell after observing her for 24 hours that it wasn't a foot thing. I felt pretty strongly that it was the elbow or the shoulder. The vet confirmed it was the shoulder. My girl is only 3 1/2, and the vet mentioned that there is a chance it could be osteosarcoma. We have her on pain killers and anti-inflammatories for a week, but if she's not better by this time next week, she'll get xrayed for osteosarcoma. It's very scary -- I know what you're going through. I think 5 would be a fairly young diagnosis, but not unheard of. Osteosarcoma usually starts between the knee and the ankle, or in the upper arm/shoulder. This is why my vet is concerned. If you can pinpoint the source of the limp to the paw or the knee or something, the odds that it's osteo go down quite a bit. Is it a front leg or hind leg? How's he been doing since the 1st when you posted this? Bottom line is with a 5 year old dog, it's probably something else, but your vet can tell you with certainty and assuage your fears. Good luck!

Edited by MyNellyBean