My Grey Cut Her Tail!

Guest Mad_Irishman

Guest Mad_Irishman

Okay, my Arial and I just got back from a wonderful walk and when we went back inside, she somehow got her tail cut on the air intake for the air conditioner. Well by golly she yelped and it looked like a flipping murder scene in my house, blood everywhere from the wagging tail. The bleeding was stopped with pressure and it does not look like a large cut, but when I tried to clean it off in the bathtub, she wacked the wall and more bleeding. She's in her crate and the bleeding is stopped. What's a good way to take care of the cut, it's not very big, but I don't want it to start bleeding again and it does not look like a vet emergency. I've already cleaned it out with running water and she is licking it occasionally. Should I leave it be or bandage it up. Thanks for your input.

Guest Mad_Irishman

Nevermind, I found out about happy tail. Thanks for any responses though. I did not know the name of it otherwise I would have just searched it.

Been there done that. Happy tail made our home look like a crime scene. :rolleyes:

You should find when reading the happy tail posts that it can take a long time for happy tail to heal. Keep checking the tissue as recommended in those posts.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jcbradley11

Ian,

a very smart dog man (John Dalton who is the breeder/owner of two of my pups) told me once that you can tape a toilet paper roll to the tail in case of happy tail. I believe you have to cut up the center of the cardboard so you can gently wrap it around and tape it. That way when she wags her tail she won't hit it so hard. You will just have to watch her because she may try to pull it off. You will want to keep an eye on it though and make sure it's healing ok.

Guest Mad_Irishman

Sigh, and this had to happen on my first week with her, how frustrating. Oh well, I think I have it patched up ok, hopefully she keeps the bandage on that I put on her tail.

Guest jcbradley11

I know it's frustrating and a bit overwhelming, right?? There's just so much to learn. She will be ok, it was an accident. We all have to learn about happy tail at one time or another, yours just happened to be now.

Guest FullMetalFrank

There are some good tips for tail bandaging if you search; we had an incident here where Frank got his tail caught in the storm door. You'll get proficient at bandaging! Tails are notoriously slow to heal so be patient. If it's not too large of a cut you can cover with a large size (2"x3" or something close to that) bandaid; then over that a layer of vet wrap extending it a few inches either side of the wound, and then secure just a little bit at the ends with sticky tape (I think it's elasticon, or white athletic tape; don't use too much as it really sticks to the hair) Good luck! Oh, and don't bandage too tightly, and if any signs of infection show up, off to the vet for some antibiotics!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Nevermind, I found out about happy tail. Thanks for any responses though. I did not know the name of it otherwise I would have just searched it.

Well, honestly, happy tail is typically caused by repeatedly whacking the tail when wagging. Your dog cut her tail on a sharp object.

You'll treat it the same, but hopefully (for your sake) it's not right on the tip!

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of having the vet look at it. A stitch or too might make your life a whole lot easier.

A cut on the tail can be a very difficult thing to get to heal. Trust me! My old dog had true happy tail, and after SIXTEEN WEEKS of trying to get it to heal (and at least 5 visits to the vet) he had 2 inches amputated during another surgery.

My greyhound came to me with happy tail--that one only took about 2 months of constant bandages to heal.

So...if this is a CUT, and it can be stitched, you'll save yourself a world of trouble!

Good luck!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck