Inducing Vomiting

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

What are the ways to do it?

I know a salt ball will work.

Hydrogen peroxide.

What if you have access to neither? For example you are traveling/in the car/etc with your dog.

Are there other ways to induce vomiting?

Guest Energy11

(2) tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide is the BEST, and it works! ANY supermarket for drug store has it. THAT is the only way I know to induce vomiting. Good Luck!

HP is all I've had to use, and it works so well, you really do want to stay well out of the way, and make sure you're outside! Might be a good addition to your car's first aid kit, for wound treatment, too. It's so inexpensive, and you can get small bottles that would tuck anywhere.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Hydrogen peroxide is inexpensive (about fifty cents US, I think) and is available in small bottles in the pharmacy/drug section of grocery stores and similar places.

But HP loses it's strength once you've broken the seal and opened the bottle. If you use any from a bottle, get a new bottle soon. Put it in the doggy first-aid kit in your car--for you and the dog.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I used HP in a turkey baster to get Sheila to throw up when I thought she was going to bloat again.

I spent an hour and a half driving around trying to find syrup of ipecac, but NO ONE carries it anymore for 2 reasons...1)because it was abused by those seeking self induce vomiting - grrrrrrrrrrr 2)poison control does not recommend using it (they don't automatically recommend vomiting for ingestion anymore).

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BlackandBrindle

I know hydrogen peroxide works :)

I just want to know if there are other things that work as well...

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Echo!! :lol

I have fortunately not had to bring anything up, although I likely would have if I'd realized sooner that Sadie had eaten the raisins in the trail mix.

I am thinking salt is better to keep in the car/first aid kit. It doesn't expire or lose potency as far as I know like Hydrogen Peroxide.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I just realized I don't have a bottle of HP in the travel trailer, thanks for the reminder! As for the OP question, I dunno... Do dogs have a gag reflex like we do? Can you get them to vomit by sticking your finger down their throat?

Guest KennelMom

you can get hydrogen peroxide pretty much anywhere...I keep a small bottle of it in our dog travel bag.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I realize that it's readily available but there are instances when you don't have access to it, it's not effective because it's lost it's potency... so I am looking for alternatives.

Guest LindsaySF

Salt water is supposed to work, but in the one instance I tried it (my professor's dogs at the research center ate rat poison!) it didn't work and we ended up using hydrogen peroxide anyway.

A helpful technique is to walk the dog back and forth after trying to induce vomiting. Whatever you end up using, if you let the dog lay down and rest sometimes they can get over being sick and it will pass. Making them walk around or pace seems to help induce the vomiting.

I am thinking salt is better to keep in the car/first aid kit. It doesn't expire or lose potency as far as I know like Hydrogen Peroxide.

Keep both.

It's better to give h.p. than salt, as too much salt can harm the dog if dog does NOT vomit it up.

That said, if you have something like a toxic mushroom that MUST come up NOW and you don't have any h.p., skip the saltwater and just give @ 2 teaspoons of salt.

For h.p., in my experience, potency is less of a problem than not giving enough or not getting it down the hatch. If it still foams, it'll get the gag reflex going. You want to give a reasonable amount -- couple tablespoons -- the way you give a pill. Put it in a little cup (like the meds cups they use in hospitals) or a turkey baster, ratchet doggy's mouth open, tilt doggy's head back, dump or shoot h.p. as far down into the throat as you can. Hold dog's head with nose up and mouth closed for a minute until doggy swallows. Let doggy go and stand back. This is all best done outside.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We used mustard powder mixed into a light paste/liquid with our pups when I was growing up. It did work but now I wonder if it also burned their throats. Then again, a burned throat beats a poisoned dog. We also used to keep a syringe of atropine in case anyone tried to poison our dogs again. It apparently acts as an antidote to most poisons given to dogs. My dentist gave it to us because his neighbors kept killing his Samoyed's in an effort to get him out of their lily-white neighborhood.