Greyhounds And Doggie Doors

Guest BiancasMom

A large dog door means a large dog who can easily bite as you try to crawl through the dog door without getting stuck. You would probably move on to an easier house to rob.

Until they saw the dogs passed out in the grass asleep...

What about security for the dogs? Anyone concerned about someone opening their gate, etc.? (locks can get cut)

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Ok, so I have to tell this story. We have a dog door that we have had before we had greys. It's slightly short for my male grey, but he manages. In other words, it's not a huge door. One day I was called in to work while my husband was out in the hot tub. I went out to say bye, but then wasn't thinking and locked the porch door (oops). Well, he likes to hot tub in the buff and this time didn't bring out the robe and had no cell phone. He had to crawl through the dog door to get in, naked. He is 6'0 180. I still get favors called in for that :P Apparently it was quite a feat.

siggy2.jpg

This is the one I have but I think I got it at Amazon for around $80. http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Doors/Door/Freedom-Aluminum-Pet-Door-Large.aspx

The rise is about 14" from the bottom of the floor to the opening to go out, and actually more to come back in because my deck is a bit lower. (I didn't install it and I had asked for a 12" rise.....) My 70ish lb hounds use it with no problems. The dog door leads to a fenced dog run that is about 90'x12'. There are gates at either end of the dog run that I now have heavy duty locks on due to neighbors brats bouncing toys into my yard and leaving gates open. There is also a third gate that leads to my fenced back yard.

As far as anyone crawling in through the dog door, only a dumb criminal would do that. I can reach inside the flaps of my dog door and UNLOCK the door if I needed to! :P Yes my cat uses it too but the furthest she goes past my yard is to hide under the neighbors shed.

There are risks to having a dog door but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm single, I work full time and I live in a rural community where there are no such things as dog walkers so this is what works for me. I do have 5 steps from my deck to the dog run and while my current dogs are 5 and 6, when they get to the senior wobbly age I will have to come up with a new plan because the dog door and the steps won't be a good idea then.

What about critters coming in? We always have squirrels bouncing around on the deck and actually had to get rid of the bird feeders because we had a opossum family move in under the deck and raccoons sitting along the fence at night. Our lot backs up to a wooded area.