Rumbling Tummy

Guest Piila

Guest Piila

Rebel's been having these tummy/intestinal rumblings in the last week that actually wake me up between 3am and 5:30am. If anyone has ever been to Asia and had bad food, you'll know the sound and feeling! Kinda wet and gurling. And when I take him out during these gurglings, he eats grass like a cow. he's had runny poo since i got him and I haven't really been able to get it all that solid. THis morning, his 2nd poo of the morning (runny) had a bit of blood in it.

I'm bringing a fecal sample in to my vet today, but any suggestions out there? i've had him a month, so am thinking worms or parasites as the likely cause.

Thanks, paula

Guest Hollys2hounds

Hi Paula,

At this point, I would wait for the vet.

My guys get the tummy gurgles once in a while, but after a Pepto Bismol, or bland food for a day or so, they are fine. Also, I have never seen blood in poop during one of these episodes, but he could just be raw, and irritated.

I would wait to speak to your vet after the parasite/ worming test.

Good luck, Rebel is gorgeous!

Guest SoulsMom

If there is blood in the stool he needs to be seen by the vet. Could be he just needs to be dewormed, but might also need to be put on Flagyl.

Soul had the gurgly tummy before his HGE episode that landed him in the hospital. He also had a bit of blood in his stools, and I waited a day to take him in which turned out to be a day too long.

Guest SoulsMom

Severe bleeding of the GI tract. It's a 'catch-all' dx when all other tests come back ok. If not caught and stopped soon enough most dogs need to be hospitalized on IV fluids. Causes of the bleeding could be stress, bacterial, or dietary. In Soul's case it's dietary. Typical treatment is Flagyl and a bland diet or prescription diet for a few weeks.

Some dogs can go back to their regular kibble after they recover and some can't. Soul relapsed in January, so he has remaind on the prescription diet.

ETA: I'd also try to stop him from eating grass, it will only upset his tummy even more.

Edited by SoulsMom

Ours sometimes get gurgley tummys late at night if they are a bit hungry, and we will give them a piece of bread which seems to be the cure-all to make the tummy stop rumbling.

Glad you are getting it looked at though with the bloody stool.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Could he have eaten something that isn't agreeing with him?

We've had gurgly tummies and grass eating a few times in our house and they ended up with something-that-should-not-have-been-consumed getting upchucked on the carpet. Usually it's squeakers from their toys.

If the blood in his stool persists, then I'd be worried, but as others say, it may very well be an irritated colon from the "D".

However, if he did eat something he shouldn't have, it may be passing through and thus causing the bleeding?

Bottomline.. definitely consult with a vet.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

that's how our story with Beau started. hope it's easier than what we went through...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If you haven't already, start him on a bland diet of hamburger and rice. If his tummy is upset, this should help settle it down. You might also want to give him a cookie before he goes to sleep because sometimes having an empty stomach will cause the "gurgling".

Guest Piila

A visit to the vet's yesterday, poo sample in hand, resulted in a tentative diagnosis of colitis. likely caused by stress. he's a pretty needy and anxious little boy!!! Wade did a smear as well and discovered that Rebel's bacterial count is way out of whack. So our first step is Panacur and a probiotic, and switching him off Orijen, which is a rich food, and on to something a bit more bland and normal. He did a rectal exam as well (Rebel would like to chip in here: "oh the humility!!") and that was fine, so he hasn't eaten anything unwanted.

The blood has been minimal this afternoon, which is good. But I haven't had a firm poo from this boy since bringing him home. It's a bit annoying!!! I'm going to try pumpkin or some other high-fibre food to help him along. He's lost a lot of weight in the last 2 weeks as well. Partly I think that's because he's not getting enough kibble (trying to decide how much food a 65 lb energetic, hyper dog needs when he's walked 2-3 hours a day!).

We'll see how the next couple of days goes. Fingers crossed!!