Tail Amputation

Guest rippasmom

Guest rippasmom

After bandaging for 7 weeks, Oswald had about 7 inches of tail amputated today. Dropped him off this morning( heart rate was 200, he doesn't like to leave home) Everything went well, I went to get him as soon as he woke up. He's a very groggy boy. He has morphine for pain because he has problems with NSAIDs, and has 5 days of aminocaproic acid and 21 of antibiotics. Please pray for a quick recovery, he's my sweet shy boy.

Guest Willerton

My Wilson recovered very quickly from having his tail amputated. It was 100 times better than what it was like before the amputation. He felt better immediately and was back to his normal self on day 2. I only ended up giving him a small amount of pain meds for a couple days. The only thing to keep an eye on is preventing him from licking the surgery site.

He doesn't miss his tail one bit (and I don't miss the blood everywhere either from when he got happy tail).

Feel better soon, Oswald!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I have a short-tailed girl myself. I think it sets her apart from all the others....she's a class act! Oswald, buddy....feel better soon!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest vahoundlover

Heal quickly Oswald!!! :kiss2 Kim, I was thinking this morning today was the today and meant to email you, my brain is mush!! Glad it went well and your handsome fella is home.

Guest VelvetEars

When Jane had the bottom 1/3 of her tail amputated (good thing they didn't do the middle third, eh?) .... we had a hard time getting it to heal. It had to stay wrapped, and yet "breathe." If you run into issues w/ this later, PM me and I'll tell you what we did.

Guest Exena

Our girl had to get four inches or so amputated from her tail a year ago, and we had a hard time with the healing. I think if we knew about the BiteNot collar (or a homemade version that a GTer posted in this forum), we and she would have been much better off. Hoping all goes well with Oswald!

Guest knitkass

awww, poor guy. I always feel so sad when "happy tail" gets so out of control. Seems to me they shouldn't be punished just for having a cute helicopter tail!

Guest rippasmom

Thanks for all the good thoughts for my boy. He's doing well and has been resting and has not touched his tail! He's started on Tramadol( stopped the morphine). Hopefully we're on the home stretch and he will be back to his sweet old self soon. Rippa, Ozzie, and Rourke have been very respectful of his space. I'm blessed with greyt furkids!