What Heartworm Meds Do You Use ?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest greytful4

As many of you know, I have had an emergency situation with Kylie over the Easter week-end...it occured to me that I frontlined her and gave her Iverhart Max on Thursday of last week...friday morning is when everything happend. I wonder, has the Iverhart Max been known to cause any problems...I just don't like this drug and am going to switch back to Heartguard...opinions, experiences, comments please?

Guest kineticpoet

I haven't tried anything aside from heartgard on my hound and he does well on it. I give it to him every month, right after he has a meal. My guy is pretty sensitive when given anything a little out of the normal in his diet. No stink, and no big D.

I used Heartgard and now both of my greys are on Interceptor. No special reason for the change, just that I changed vets and the one I use now recommended Interceptor. I have not heard of Iverhart. Could it be possible that you overloaded your grey's system with too much meds, i.e., Frontline and heartworm med at the same time? I space the dosages of heartworm med and Frontline by a couple of weeks.

Mine's on Sentinel, no problems that I've seen. Hmm, I didn't think about spacing it out from the Frontline Plus, though sometimes they've been on a different schedule -- I may think about keeping it that way.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest bugsmom

Anne, she never had a hard time with me at the kennel with the Frontline- Ivomec combo.

I was just reading the other thread, sorry she's feeling so bad. It sure sounds like a TBD to me.

Pat

I use the unflavored heartgard on Beau because of his IBD and I used interceptor on the others.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Which version of Heartgard were you using previously?

Iverheart Max contains ivermectin, pyrantel pamoate, and praziquantel.

Heartgard Plus contains ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate -- same amounts as Iverheart Max.

Heartguard contains ivermectin in the same amount as Iverheart Max.

Wouldn't expect any side effects from these drugs to last very long at the dosages given altho stranger things have probably happened.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.