Dental

I think I'm in a situation where too much knowledge is a bad thing....

Robin has not had a dental since we got him 5 years ago at the age of 2. Today we took him to the vet for a full checkup, just to make sure all is well, and we were thinking that he probably needed a dental at this point. After all, he's not getting any younger! (We haven't been neglectful--the last time we went to the vet, they didn't think he needed one yet.)

The vet, who is new to us, was very impressed by Robin, pronouncing him an amazingly healthy-looking 7-year old. He seemed to think he seemed young for his age! I was glad to hear that....as far as the dental recommendation goes, he said that he would recommend it in general for his overall health, but that his teeth actually looked pretty good! Not much tartar at all.

Which leaves me with the anxiety--I know from GT about the dangers of anesthesia and how sometimes greys just don't wake up....I can't help but be extremely afraid and nervous about this. I know that he should get a dental, and that it is better to do it now than later, because as he gets older it gets more risky. So I know we need to do it--and the vet can fit him in as soon as Tuesday! But it would be easier if it were ABSOLUTELY urgent--then we would have no choice. And really, we don't, I know....but it's still hard. I wish I was blissfully unaware of the dangers.

Maybe since he is "so young and healthy for his age", he will be fine...why do I feel so uncomfortable with scheduling the appointment?

Sorry for the rant...I think I'm just venting. Decision has to be made by morning....Thanks for listening...

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest sorenkkg

We had Haka's done 2-3 yrs ago, when he was 5 or 6, and it was fine. I made sure the estimate from the vet specifically listed all the sighthound friendly medications, and talked about it beforehand as well.

Then I stayed home from work that day and tried not to freak out... and they called me as soon as he was awake, though they kept him till he was fully able to come home.

Now, it's time again-- he's 9, and he needs it more than Aleeya does (littermates, but totally different dogs :rolleyes: ) so once he's done with the ringworm UGH we'll tackle the teeth.

Our vet does a wellness blood test, to make sure his liver and kidneys and whatever else can handle the anesthetic, and I'm happy to pay for that, it's extra peace of mind.

Personally-- I think the things that a dog can get from bad teeth and gums are also a big factor... so while I worry about general anesthetic, I also worry about what could happen if we don't do the dental.

If only he'd let us brush his teeth :rolleyes:

Bring your greyhound info books with you, and make sure YOU know what your grey needs in surgery (all the names escape me now of course) and then ask your vet and sort of test him, is what I would do.

Not really that sneaky, right?

Oh no! I forgot to do any of that asking! They say that they see several (older) greyhounds at this clinic, but I forgot to ask for specifics. I wonder if it's too late....since I'm a teacher, and I'm off next week, I'd like to do it then. I'm sure I couldn't handle dealing with the children while I'm trying not to freak out about Robin...

I do have the greyhound vet info in my original adoption binder. However, I just read through it and it is greek to me (as it should be). The estimate doesn't mention the drugs to be used. I still have time to ask questions--I like your idea. The paperwork mostly seems to recommend Oxymorphone, and being sure that he has fluids. Does anyone know, though, what specifically should be AVOIDED? I know they need specific care during anesthesia, but what would be a red flag?

Any help would be great.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Personally if his teeth look good with very little tartar then I'm not sure why a dental would be good for his overall health :dunno I wouldn't do a dental unless needed.....

Usually, once they've reached 6, the vets here will always do blood work first. Safer that way I think.

Misty had her dental several months ago and she's 10 and not in good health. But the vet knows her history and every precaution is taken. The anesthesia would have no risk as far as the Cushings goes, but she also has kidney disease. I do not know the name of the drug my vet uses, I can never remember it, but I do know he pumps a lot of fluid while she's under.

I know it's scary but letting it go can be scary in the long run.

Please keep us posted and we'll keep Robin in our thoughts.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Anesthesia is pretty tricky in greyhounds -- so you may want to check with the adoption agency where you got your greyhound and see who they recommend.

Believe me, I would, except we adopted him in Virginia and now live in Boston. All my attempts to get greyhound-savvy recommendations have not worked thus far. Maybe I should contact a local group? It couldn't hurt to ask....

I think I need to stop freaking out and relax. Maybe I should go to sleep.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Robin1017

Guest greytlady

Waking up seems to be the most sensitive time. My vet uses an oxygen monitor and runs fluids on the older guys and does a pre-an lab test to see if there are going to be problems. I've just had my 11 yr old done with no problems except she was a little wobbly that whole night. Back to normal by morning though. I think if they are fast and there aren't a lot of extractions the dogs recover much quicker.

Of course I was a totally nervous mother all day till I got the call she was done, waking up and ready to come home in an hour or two.

Guest UESBrindle

We're getting William's teeth cleaned this Sunday, and since it's the first cleaning he'll have with us, someone here recommended Houndstooth Dental- a non-anesthetic cleaning. Not sure just yet how it'll go, but it seems to be a good alternative to avoid putting him under..

http://houndstoothdental.com/

Guest sorenkkg

Don't know if this is timely, but I have Haka's estimate here, so here's the info for you:

dental prophy K9 up to 45 minutes

hospitalization with detnal/xray/acth (dunno what that is)

Isoflurane/15 min includes monitoring --- x3

IV fluids with anesthetic

Wellness and presx exam

Dental xray first size 2

dental xray each additiona size 2

Anesthetic Induction Ket/Val

I put in bold the stuff that is specific to Greyhounds-- especially the Isoflurane, that is the magic word.

Also, that wellness exam-- that's the bloodwork to see if their systems can handle all this (kidneys, liver, whatever else). Yes, "elder" dogs get that before going under at my vet too :)

The think to remember is that their metabolism is very different from other dogs-- anesthetic is metabolized in fat, I believe, and since they DON"T HAVE ANY hardly, they have to use special stuff and monitor them as well.

Also, bigger hearts and lungs too, I'm sure play into it somehow.

All said-- I know Haka needs it again so as soon as we settle his fungus :rolleyes: we'll be back there for his dental.

good luck, let us know how it goes!

Don't know if this is timely, but I have Haka's estimate here, so here's the info for you:

dental prophy K9 up to 45 minutes

hospitalization with detnal/xray/acth (dunno what that is)

Isoflurane/15 min includes monitoring --- x3

IV fluids with anesthetic

Wellness and presx exam

Dental xray first size 2

dental xray each additiona size 2

Anesthetic Induction Ket/Val

I put in bold the stuff that is specific to Greyhounds-- especially the Isoflurane, that is the magic word.

Thank you so much for your info! The estimate I have mentions iso--this must be the Isoflurane, which makes me feel good--obviously they have a clue. :-)

He got bloodwork done and he is very healthy, so he is cleared whenever we want to do it. When I talked to the vet today, he didn't seem to think it was a rush, though, which makes it easier to say "let's hold off". The DBF, who is first owner, agrees with someone earlier who said that if it isn't absolutely necessary, let's not do it yet. Interestingly enough, we had the same diagnosis (mild tartar) and recommendations (you can do it or wait) two years ago when we asked the vet about a dental. So maybe he has good teeth in general! :-)

We will be holding off for a bit--which makes me happier. But all of the information and ideas you've all given will definitely be filed for then! Thanks again!

We're getting William's teeth cleaned this Sunday, and since it's the first cleaning he'll have with us, someone here recommended Houndstooth Dental- a non-anesthetic cleaning. Not sure just yet how it'll go, but it seems to be a good alternative to avoid putting him under..

http://houndstoothdental.com/

Does anyone know how the prices for this compare with going the traditional way? Given that the prices seem to vary considerably, I mean...

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought later on--it could be a good alternative....especially if Robin's teeth seem to be holding up well with just our regular brushing....

Guest UESBrindle

When I emailed to schedule, it was $140 for a dog cleaning-- but they had a deal for new adopters who adopted within 4 months of the visit, so we got his appointment for $100. The only other thing we did do was put him on antibiotics at the vets suggestion to ward off any possibility of infection, and that was another $84- so for us, it'll be a total of $184, but from other posts about dentals, the traditional way can run a few hundred dollars or more.

Again, not sure what the difference is-- if the "traditional" way cleans better because they can dig around more with the dog completely out.. does anyone have experience having done both with their dogs? what were your likes/dislikes of each?

I have an e-mail in to them to find out more information as well. The prices sound reasonable from what you were quoted...

I'm also asking where they are located in Massachusetts, because they don't say a town! :-) I'm interested to hear more, because he could still probably use it soon--his breath is a little more funky lately.

Personally if his teeth look good with very little tartar then I'm not sure why a dental would be good for his overall health :dunno I wouldn't do a dental unless needed.....

I agree with Donna. Sahara is six, and she hasn't had a dental since we adopted her (nearly 3 years). I would wait until it is needed.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds