Update On Riley And Mast Cell Tumor

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Hi everyone, I have been offline for three weeks and am very glad to be back!

We took Riley to MSU on Friday. I am very impressed with the level of care they give their and how thorugh they are. Everyone handled Riley with tender loving care. Riley was diagnosed with mast cell tumor a couple weeks ago, and so tests were done to see if the cancer had spread.

Riley actually has several mast cell tumors it turns out. I had been dismissing them as fatty deposits as Riley has so many of those and after taking him in for aspirations of the first several fatty deposits, I stopped worrying about all the lumps, until the one on his wrist. The one on his wrist was originally diagnosed as a 'soft tissue injury' after our vet took several x-rays. When the lump was not healing, and actually growing instead, we took him into the vet again and that was when we first found out it is a mast cell tumor, not a soft tissue injury. Fortunately it has been found that the cancer had not spread to the organs.

On Thursday Riley goes in for a biopsy of the tumor, and will be under anesthesia for the procedure. Very likely he will only have to stay the day. Then pretty soon should be the first chemotherapy treatment. Riley is going to be participating in a study of a new chemotherapy drug being used for mast cell tumors. This means this is all free of cost to us, (we will be making donations here and there) and it also means we do not get to know the name of the chemotherapy drug yet. It is exciting that new research is being done for cancer, and answers are continuing to be sought out. It's a win win win situation for all involved, including future dogs who may be helped by this new chemotherapy drug.

A few pictures of our day at MSU:

On the way to MSU...

100_2551.jpg

Riley's carpal mast cell tumor (look on his wrist to your right)

100_2574.jpg

Henry worrying about Riley when they took Riley into the other room.

100_2578.jpg

The drug s not entirely new. This study started last November, and several dogs have already received this chemo drug and done very well on it.

We are :hope ing Riley too does very well on this chemo drug, and that he goes into remission. American Eskimos are a longer lived breed, and I am hoping if he can get through this, we will be able to have him around for several more years, and I am very hopeful that the tumor on his wrist shrinks substantially and that he will once again be able to enjoy walks.

By the way, if we sell our house before Riley is finished with his Chemotherapy, (August) we will be renting an apt. closer to MSU until he is finished. Right now we are a 2 1/2 hour drive from MSU.

Thanks for the update -- I was wondering how you were doing. Sounds very promising! Continued hugs, prayers and good wishes from all of us. :bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Aww, he is such a sweet looking boy. :wub:

You guys are such dedicated doggie parents, he's in good hands. Hoping that the new treatment works! :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What a sweetheart! Keeping him tucked in our prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Vinnie

Adding our prayers to those already started that this chemo works on Riley. Love those faces - and Henry looking so worried, what a cutie. Hope all goes well, don't get discouraged, chemo causes a bit of up and down - some will eat while others not so much. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.