Gums

Guest amour

Guest amour

The vet told me that my boy had mild gingivitis and gave me some oxyfresh. How long does it take to see improvement? Should I try cleaning his teeth during this time or wait?

New Mom

Guest gennygrey

I brush my greyhounds teeth every two days. When I first got Shadow, he had mild gingivitis, but it is a lot better now. You can also get doggie mouthwash to cut down on tarter. You put it in his/her water.

Edited by gennygrey

Misty has really bad gums and has lost teeth because of so much receeding.

My vet insists that what will help is using a flushing syringe like we would use a water pik. I just started using it so I can't say it's working yet but I can see where it cleans what the toothbrush misses.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

We didn't really see any improvement with oxyfresh when we tried it several years ago. We use raw bones to keep teeth clean between dentals.

He's a greyhound. Mild gingivitis is to be expected I think!

I tried brushing my dog's teeth regularly, and it really didn't seem to do much. I give him a raw bone every Sat. and Sun., and his last vet visit she declared his teeth "excellent, for a greyhound" and said he didn't need a dental this year!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Opie didn't like the stuff you put in the water - refused to drink it. He gets turkey neck pieces nightly, and we try to brush 3-4 times a week. So far so good, but he just turned 6 and will be having his annual exam in June, so we shall see.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest LindsaySF
The vet told me that my boy had mild gingivitis and gave me some oxyfresh. How long does it take to see improvement? Should I try cleaning his teeth during this time or wait?

New Mom

You can brush his teeth as often as necessary. Brushing will do more than most additives IMO. Good luck.