The Big D, And I Am Away...

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

I am away in Florida (home is NJ) visiting family for the holidays. I just spoke to my DH, who is home pup-sitting, and he says Gunner has major diarrhea. Gunny and I are very attached, and I think it might be emotional upset... can this be?

Should he just follow a normal regime of fasting... then slowly introducing chicken and rice?

Should he do anything else? Pepto? Imodium?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I hate being away from him when he is not feeling well... :( Did this ever happen to your pup?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Our Rocket had a bout of really bad Big D recently. We gave him some Kaopectate and it cleared up rather rapidly. We gave it once at night using the dosage for an adult from the bottle, and the next morning he was much better. It only took one dose to get him back on track. Hope this helps.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MnMDogs

Matty and/or Mork would get pretty bad diarrhea when I would leave them with dh. It was weird, since he takes care of them almost as much as I do even when I'm home, and they're attached to him as well. But it just seemed that they missed their mommy, and the emotional upset resulted in stomach upset.

I would fast for 24 hours, give rice and boiled chicken and perhaps a metamucil wafer. That should help to firm things up. I tend to avoid Imodium unless I'm certain there's not some sort of infection that needs to be cleared out.

I've been told by my vet not to treat "D" with meds until we know WHY it's happening, but instead do the food subsititution. As I know you recall, we went through a lot of "D" with Beau.

Start with the beef and rice as you have done in the past. I'm sure he misses you. When are you coming home?

Hope you are having a good time anyway, I know it's hard knowing he is not feeling well.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project