Vectra 3d?

Guest RichardC

Guest RichardC

I took my new Greyhound for an intial vet visit for a once over but wow did I make a mistake. The guy had no experience with Greyhounds even after he told me he did. He thought my Greyhound was a "biter" because of his muzzle then proceeded to insinuate it was wrong for the Greyhound to have a muzzle on and it was uncomfortable. Mind you it's the track muzzle. Anyone living in the DC area be wary of Chevy Chase Vet as the guy has had no experience with Greyhounds but thinks they can be treated like an other dog, including anesthia!

Anyway, he gave me Vectra 3D for fleas and ticks and I've done some searching on Greytalk and the rest of the internet and it doesn't seem good from what I've seen. Anymore information since the last posts were put up? Thanks.

One of the searches here on Vectra may have been mine. A friend's dog nearly died from it and poor care at Banfield at Petsmart. The only prescription flea control product they are dispensing here is the Vectra.

Both my regular vet and the ER vet want absolutely nothing to do with it. They both firmly believe to Banfield it's a sweet money deal with the manufacturer.

There are better, safer products out there.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't know anything about Vectra other than what I've read here, but a super vet in the DC area is Christine Kellogg at Great Falls Animal Hospital. She is very grey-savvy and excellent to work with. Many greyhound owners make the trek to see her. She has been great with my Mandy.

Edited by MandysMom

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but welcome to GT! You did a very good thing by coming in and asking questions. I hope the answers will put you and your new greyhound on the right road. Welcome!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest gennygrey

I have used Vectra on my greyhound, because when I was in NY last year for Grapehounds, I realized that I forgot to give my dog his monthly flea treatment. I went to a Banfield at Petsmart and that is what they had. As far as for the flea protection, it worked ok and the my dog did not have any adverse side effects. But what I really do not like about the product is that is leaves a thick oily residue on the coat for days after the application. As far as its effectiveness, my dog did not itch and had no fleas or ticks, but I switched back to frontline plus, because I really do not like the residue.

One of the things I found helpful when I was a new grey mom was to follow the protocol from the adoption group and I haven't deviated in almost four years. I figure they have been in the greyhound business longer than me. My two are on frontline and interceptor.

If you are looking for a grey savvy vet again I'd suggest starting with your adoption group for ideas. I'm not familiar with Chevy Chase but I do know a very nice grey savvy vet in Silver Spring and her practice may simply be called Silver Spring Veterinary...Dr. Krishna is her name.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Cris_M

I go to a super grey savvy vet. For many years, he has been vetting for a "farm" here that raises racing hounds. He has been adopting out greys for longer than it has been popular.

He suggested Vectra 3D last year. We live in Georgia and buggie things can get pretty bad. Okay, really bad!

I used it once on Duncan, and it was because I was worried about bugs not because we had seen bugs. He had no side effects at all. We only gave it one month because Duncan doesn't get fleas. I think being raw fed is the reason.

I gave the Vectra to my son with a Lab who suffers with bugs. It worked like a charm for him and lasted way past 30 days.

Guest greytfostermom

I would suggesting contacting your adoption group to find a vet with greyhound knowledge. I use frontline and it seems to work fine.

Edited by greytfostermom