Drinking Too Much Water

Guest oldNELLIE

Guest LindsaySF

It could be any of those 3 things. Good call on getting a new bag of food, maybe that helped.

Let us know when the results come in!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldNELLIE

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to update that I have no update! :rolleyes:

Nellie seems to be on the mend still, though, so it will be interesting to see what the test results show, if anything. We finished the new, small bag of food that I bought and have started feeding her the old bag again. We are watching closely for any changes in her water intake, but I have a feeling it is the antibiotics that are making the real difference. I just can't bring myself to throw away 40lb of food not knowing if that was the problem.

So that is what is going on at our house! Happy Monday!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to update that I have no update! :rolleyes:

Nellie seems to be on the mend still, though, so it will be interesting to see what the test results show, if anything. We finished the new, small bag of food that I bought and have started feeding her the old bag again. We are watching closely for any changes in her water intake, but I have a feeling it is the antibiotics that are making the real difference. I just can't bring myself to throw away 40lb of food not knowing if that was the problem.

So that is what is going on at our house! Happy Monday!

Wow, no results yet?? Geesh, did they send it to a lab in China????

But, it's good to hear she's on the mend

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If you decide you don't want the food, if you can find a receipt, take it back to the store you bought it from! Pretty much every manufacturer guarantees their food and will fully refund your money. If the store gives you a hassle about that, call the manufacturer's 1-800 number and let them know.

Glad to hear your pupper is doing better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest oldNELLIE

Hi Everyone!

I am back and we have results!

Nellie is doing much better, and seems to be feeling okay. She is still taking her antibiotic and we are back feeding her the potentially "bad" bag of food. She is drinking a normal amount of water, and sleeping through the night again.

What we learned from the test last week is that Nellie is hypo-thyroid. I have searched and read through some post here on the subject, so I will fill you in on what the Vet and I discussed.

Nellie's T4 came in at 0.2 (normal for GH 0.5-3.6). Her freeT4 is 9 (normal for a dog, not specifically GH, is 8-45). the vet said they tend to put more weight on the FT4 and although Nell's is low it is in range. Now, I could be wrong about this but since the T4 for a GH is lower than for an average dog breed (range 1.1-4) could it be true that the FT4 for a GH might be a lower range as well? I guess I am thinking she perhaps, is more in range than it looks.

Anyway, we talked about options regarding treatment, and I think we might just do a wait and see approach. The vet listed off the "typical" symptoms of hypo-thyroid and Nellie doesn't have any of them. She is a healthy weight, she has a thick, healthy coat of hair, she is not excessively drooling or heat-seaking, and she is not aggressive or lethargic. And, although she was drinking excessively, that seems to have passed for now. The vet said if we start meds she will have to take them for the rest of her life, and if she is not showing any of the symptoms I just don't know how I feel about that. We talked about an herbal supplement that we might try as a "support" for her right now. Maybe that will help stay off any symptoms that might show up later. She is getting back to me with the info on that.

So, I guess that is that for now. I am still processing the idea of not treating and I am not sure how I feel about that for sure yet. I know for myself, I am fairly anti-medication, and would have to think long and hard about medicating something that I was not showing any symptoms of...but...that is my choice. I have to think about doing what is best for Nellie. I would love thoughts from all of you! You guys give the best advice :)

And thanks again everyone who chimed in with ideas and well wishes! You have been a great support through all of this!

This is great news!!!

As for the thyroid, there's a lot of experience here on that subject and a lot of different mind sets, and Nellie's is a bit low, but if she's A-symptomatic, I feel leave it alone.

Give that pretty girl a hug from her fan club here in the desert

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest oldNELLIE
This is great news!!!

As for the thyroid, there's a lot of experience here on that subject and a lot of different mind sets, and Nellie's is a bit low, but if she's A-symptomatic, I feel leave it alone.

Give that pretty girl a hug from her fan club here in the desert

You are so cute! :blush Thank you and I will!

You might want to have the thyroid retested at some point in the future, in some number of months. Becoming hypothyroid is a process. In that process the thyroid, which is like the body's engine, alternately revs and slows as it alternates between weakening and battling back. But over time, the weakening wins. So the test result you get will vary with the point in the process when you happen to measure it. What is good today may be not so good next month, and so on down the road.

So glad your pup is doing better than before!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest LindsaySF

If she's asymptomatic then she probably doesn't need meds now. I agree with the above post in retesting in the future.

I don't know much about thyroid values, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in there.

Here is a link to more than you probably want to know about thyroid testing: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...roid_Canine.php

I agree that waiting a couple months is probably your best bet at this point. If she develops symptoms in that time, worth further testing. If she doesn't, I probably wouldn't even redo the T4/fT4. My reason being, in a healthy and non-hypothyroid dog, those values will fluctuate from hour to hour and day to day. fT4 less so than T4, but still. Not just quoting articles; I've personally seen this. T4 by itself is useful only insofar as it tells you "Hmmm, since my dog has symptoms AND a low T4, I should do another test."

Before medicating the dog, you would want a full thyroid panel including fT4 by equilibrium dialysis (the most reliable method) and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) from a skilled lab like MSU.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is great news Shannon. I have been thinking about Nellie. I am so glad she is feeling better. It's up to you to decide whether to start treating her or not, but I think in your situation I'd probably do the same - wait and see how things go. You have the luxury of doing this since she's asymptomatic right now.

:) :) :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest oldNELLIE
Here is a link to more than you probably want to know about thyroid testing: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...roid_Canine.php

I agree that waiting a couple months is probably your best bet at this point. If she develops symptoms in that time, worth further testing. If she doesn't, I probably wouldn't even redo the T4/fT4. My reason being, in a healthy and non-hypothyroid dog, those values will fluctuate from hour to hour and day to day. fT4 less so than T4, but still. Not just quoting articles; I've personally seen this. T4 by itself is useful only insofar as it tells you "Hmmm, since my dog has symptoms AND a low T4, I should do another test."

Before medicating the dog, you would want a full thyroid panel including fT4 by equilibrium dialysis (the most reliable method) and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) from a skilled lab like MSU.

Thank you for this information! This artical has a lot of stuff to look over.

Thanks also, everyone for the thoughts on the medication. I think we will go with our gut feeling and wait to see what happens.

As an aside, Nellie snarled at me on the couch (from her end, which I was nowhere near :rolleyes: ) and my first thought was "oh, no she is turning agressive! Medicate! Medicate!" Then I realized she has actually always been kind of a...well...she's touchy when she is "resting". I obviously still need to work through this :)