The Alternative Ointment Works Like Kerasolv

Guest pwsopk

Guest pwsopk

We found a small corn growing on one of Z's front paws. We have been putting bag balm on his paws but would like to know if we have other options. I know some greyhound owners use kerasolv, but as far as I know, Kerasolv requires a prescription, right? I read a previous thread and found someone mentioned about a ointment that works just like kerasolv. I was wondering if anyone knows the name of it and where to get it?

We appreaciate your help!

In addition to the bag balm, I was using "CVS exfoliating moisturizer" when I ran out of the Kerasolv. Check with your vet, there is a human equivalent brand for the kerasolv.

Would love to know the name of the human equivalent if it's over the counter as well. We've had a lot of success using it for the keratinization on Neyla's bad toe. FYI, it's not expensive so if you have her into the vet for something else, you could just arrange for a prescription then.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

In addition to the bag balm, I was using "CVS exfoliating moisturizer" when I ran out of the Kerasolv. Check with your vet, there is a human equivalent brand for the kerasolv.

Would love to know the name of the human equivalent if it's over the counter as well. We've had a lot of success using it for the keratinization on Neyla's bad toe. FYI, it's not expensive so if you have her into the vet for something else, you could just arrange for a prescription then.

I just got back from CVS and I believe the human brand of the exfoliating moisturizer is Kerasal ($10) and the CVS brand ($8) is right next to it. The ingredients betwenn these two are slightly different but the active ingredient is salicylic acid.

Edited to add -- Both are over the counter

Edited by MaryJane

Guest pwsopk

Thanks for your info. I was just back from CVS today. And MaryJane is right about Kerasal and CVS brand being right next to each other.

I rubbed some lotion on Z's paw. His tiny black dot came out with easy poking. Although his pad is still kind of hard. We then put one therapaw bootie on his affected foot. He resisted and tried to take it off. But we "implemented" the "no bootie, no walkie" rule. At the end of the walk, he seem used to the bootie and was no longer lurching!

Since the corn is very very small ( like I said, a small black dot with surrounding hard pad), we will continue to religiously putting the CVS exfoliating moisturizer and bootie. I only hope that he can enjoy his walkie again.