Threw Up His Food 6 Hours After Eating

Guest amn70

Guest amn70

Laddie's been fine all day. Ate his breakfast about 9am, had his midday snack(biscuit) and had his dinner at 5pm. Suddenly at about 11:45pm, almost 7 hours after eating he suddenly got up from his bed and threw up without warning. It was virtually all undigested and partially digested kibble. I am not so much bothered by the throwing up but by the fact that after 6 hours it was still virtually undigested. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

Guest salov

It's just one of those things, if they are showing other signs like being off food or not themselves then it may be worth a trip to the vet, but it does just happen too.

Guest amn70

I wasn't to worried, just sorta surprised. He seems fine and even just this morning he ate normally so hopefully he keeps it down this time. Oh speaking of him still having his appetite, right after he threw up last night and as I was walking back with the stuff to clean it up I caught him trying to re-eat it *yuck*. I stopped him of course. I guess Laddie figured why should it go to waste. :)

UPDATE: Shortly after I initially typed this reply, Laddie got up from his bed and ran downstairs. Being that he never goes downstairs unless I go down I realized something was wrong. He was standing waiting to be let out so I immediately opened the door and let him into his run. He stood out there for a moment licking his lips and then threw up again. This was not even 45 minutes after he ate his breakfast. What do you guys think I should do?

Edited by amn70

I would get him to the vet immediately! Very possibly could be an obstruction or bloat!! :(

ETA ask them to do an xray ASAP.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest amn70

The only thing he ate in the couple of days that he shouldn't was some leftover popcorn kernels at the bottom of a microwave popcorn bag that he stole from the garbage but he's done that before and I know they always come out the other end with him as I monitor his deposits or should I say withdrawls :) when I suspect he's eaten something he shouldn't have.

Guest amn70

After following the vets instructions and withholding food and water throughout the day yesterday, at 5pm I gave him a bit of water and tablespoon of yogurt. He made it through the evening and the night with no problems. Gave him a small amount of boiled chicken and rice and a tablespoon of yogurt about 6:30 this morning. Its now 7:45 and so far he's kept it down. And as I mentioned in my original post, he is acting completely normal otherwise though less energetic then normal, which for Laddie isn't much of a stretch anyway :) but I guess you would be to if you hadn't really had anything to eat in a day or so. Remember he puked up his dinner the night before and his breakfast yesterday so he hasn't really had anything in his system since. Hopefully the chicken and rice stay down today.