Robert 'bob' Fairburn

GreyWrangler

East Bridgewater deputy fire chief, father of three, described as 'quiet'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jessica Scarpati

The Enterprise

Posted Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

Last update Mar 25, 2009 @ 01:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAST BRIDGEWATER — Deputy Fire Chief Robert Fairburn, 53, who was killed Wednesday morning around 9 a.m. when a car he was working on fell on him, was described as "quiet" and "a nice guy" by people who knew him at Town Hall.

"We're all just devasated," said Town Clerk Marcia Weideneller. "It's unfair."

According to town records, Fairburn, who was known as "Bob," was the husband of Ruth Fairburn, and had three children, two boys and a girl. Their ages were unknown. Weideneller said he was sworn in as deputy fire chief in 1997.

He was described by colleagues as a lifelong resident of East Bridgewater who had been on the department for 32 years.

At the fire station on Belmont Bedford Street, the flag is at half-staff and black cloth is draped over the front of the building. Shortly after noon, firefighters from Hanover, who were watching the station, said all East Bridgewater firefighters were in a "critical incident stress debriefing" off-site. Whitman and Bridgewater firefighters were also seen helping out at the station.

The East Bridgewater fire chief called the death "tragic and sudden."

"The East Bridgewater Fire Department regrets to announce the tragic and sudden loss of Deputy Fire Chief Robert D. Fairburn, who was tragically killed in a home accident," said Fire Chief Ryon P. Pratt in a written statement. "This department appreciates the support of our brother and sister firefighter and emergency agencies that are supporting this department in this difficult time."

<< I edited the street that the fire station is on>>

ETA: he was a good man, he did a lot of good for the town not just with his work with the fire department.

Edited by GreyWrangler

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

How very sad. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest goofydog

So very sorry for you and your town. Anytime a fireman dies it is a loss to the entire community, doesn't matter if it is LOD or tragic accident. My condolences.

Toni

married to a retired Fire Chief

Guest ScottH

That is so sad. This is the first I heard of this news Nancy, but I work out of town and it happened too late for tonight's newspaper. I'm sure there will be full coverage in tomorrow afternoon's edition.

:f_red

f_yellow

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Saw this in the national news. What a dreadful thing to happen. My heart goes out to the family and colleagues of this exceptional man.

Godspeed, Mr. Fairburn.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.