Severe Dandruff

Guest bry736

Guest bry736

My 12 yr old female has recently developed severe dry skin all over. She is not itchy but is flaking all over. I have been brushing her

every day and even bathed her with lanolin shampoo hoping that this would help. I have just changed her food to a fish base. We are

up in Canada & this has been an extreme winter, very cold, very looooong! What else should I be doing? I have read that giving her a

tin of sardines or salmon may help. Am I over looking any thing else?

Thanks for your replies. :(:(

A few of my pups have had it, Wayne had it really bad and boy does it show up on a black boy. I put them all on EicosaDerm(Omega-3 fatty acids) with Vitamin E and no more dandruff at all and their coats shine and feel more like silk.

You will have a lot of suggestions here, all excellent

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest bry736
A few of my pups have had it, Wayne had it really bad and boy does it show up on a black boy. I put them all on EicosaDerm(Omega-3 fatty acids) with Vitamin E and no more dandruff at all and their coats shine and feel more like silk.

I am sorry to be so ignorant but what is that? Where in Canada would I go to purchase?

I am sorry to be so ignorant but what is that? Where in Canada would I go to purchase?

First, you're NOT ignorant, I didn't know what it was either until my vet talked to me about it. It's a DermaPet product, comes in a plastic bottle and you just squirt it in their food depending on their weight. Smells like fish(so it stinks) The vet who formulated it gets his fish oil strictly from Norway. Here, it's only available at a vet's office(no script) I but it online at Countrysidepets.com as it's much much cheaper.

A lot of people here use fish oil caps, salmon oil, and other things, I just choose to use the EicosaDerm because of the success I've had with it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest bry736

First, you're NOT ignorant, I didn't know what it was either until my vet talked to me about it. It's a DermaPet product, comes in a plastic bottle and you just squirt it in their food depending on their weight. Smells like fish(so it stinks) The vet who formulated it gets his fish oil strictly from Norway. Here, it's only available at a vet's office(no script) I but it online at Countrysidepets.com as it's much much cheaper.

A lot of people here use fish oil caps, salmon oil, and other things, I just choose to use the EicosaDerm because of the success I've had with it.

Thank you for your replys. Our vets here are not too familiar with the breed and I just feel better checking with people in the know. I will check out that site, it sure can't hurt her.

She is a wonderful and a loving dog. We adopted her when she was abandoned at a local shelter. She was in poor health, dirty, unspayed and neglected. It is the first large breed for us

and she is just a perfect dog. I will only adopt this breed from now on. We have a Cairn & a **zhu as well.

Thanks again!

:)

Thank you for your replys. Our vets here are not too familiar with the breed and I just feel better checking with people in the know. I will check out that site, it sure can't hurt her.

She is a wonderful and a loving dog. We adopted her when she was abandoned at a local shelter. She was in poor health, dirty, unspayed and neglected. It is the first large breed for us

and she is just a perfect dog. I will only adopt this breed from now on. We have a Cairn & a **zhu as well.

Thanks again!

I just tried that site, but it says the site is up for sale. Could you try it and let me know?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I use fish oil pills that we get at "Trader Joe's". I give 1 pill for each dog every day. They are both black doggies and their coats shine like silk. Also, I would suggest that you check out the food section here and specifically check out the top post that has dog food rated. I would try to get the best dog food you can afford, it really helps their coats.

Chad

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Try countrysidepet.com...no "s"

Linky

ETA: I am going to try this stuff...the Grizzly oil doesn't seem to be quite enough for Jo.

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

Try countrysidepet.com...no "s"

Linky

ETA: I am going to try this stuff...the Grizzly oil doesn't seem to be quite enough for Jo.

I did put an s in there...sorry. Thank you for putting up the link, don't know how to do that

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest MAXNAV

Navigator was really flaky before he was diagnosed with his thyroid problem. My collie had the same problem. Once they were on their meds, it was much better. I have a question about the fish oil though. Will it affect their stools? The reason I ask is because my collie couldn't have any kind of oil at all, or he'd have the big D. I haven't tried it with Navigator, but since he's black, it'd be nice to have his fur even shinier.

Guest myneedlenose

I'm up here in the Great White North too and found this winter brutal on the grey's coat, we have flakies too and that is a first since we adopted Mayhem 3 years ago. I use three Omega-3 fatty acid fish oil pills in his food, seems to do the trick. It does take a while for the oil to kick in and the flakes to dissapear, what with all the dry indoor heating and the brutal dry winter air, geeze, I was having dry skin issues myself! Mayhem is 80lbs, we started with 1 pill and worked our way up slowly to three because of mushy poops. Our new addition also has flakes so I am starting him on the pills too. Keep up with the coat brushing, it gets the loose skin off and helps distribute the natural oils throughout the coat. I get the fish oil pills at Costco, human grade (DH takes a few now and then too).

Since Soul is on a special diet he gets a topical spray before bedtime for the flakies:

http://www.amazon.com/HyLyt-Bath-Oil-Coat-...r/dp/B0002YFQGW

Thanks Miz Muir! I was too embarassed to ask you that for the THIRD time, and I seem to be catching Dad's problem...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Navigator was really flaky before he was diagnosed with his thyroid problem. My collie had the same problem. Once they were on their meds, it was much better. I have a question about the fish oil though. Will it affect their stools? The reason I ask is because my collie couldn't have any kind of oil at all, or he'd have the big D. I haven't tried it with Navigator, but since he's black, it'd be nice to have his fur even shinier.

I've been using the EicosaDerm for quite a long time now and put all the dogs on it. It's never made a difference in their stool. That's not to say it couldn't but it never has with any of mine.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest MAXNAV

I've been using the EicosaDerm for quite a long time now and put all the dogs on it. It's never made a difference in their stool. That's not to say it couldn't but it never has with any of mine.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go ahead and try it.

Do what I did. I am the biggest skeptic in the world about a product. After being on the EicosaDerm for about 2 months, I let myself run out just to see if I saw any difference and to prove to myself if it was working.

I'll never do that again, I couldn't get them back on it fast enough.

And if you have any questions about this product, Dr Steve Melman DVM is always happy to answer and he responds to his emails right away. Dermapet@aol.com

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

Do what I did. I am the biggest skeptic in the world about a product. After being on the EicosaDerm for about 2 months, I let myself run out just to see if I saw any difference and to prove to myself if it was working.

I'll never do that again, I couldn't get them back on it fast enough.

And if you have any questions about this product, Dr Steve Melman DVM is always happy to answer and he responds to his emails right away. Dermapet@aol.com

Interesting! Curly's coat is gorgeous, shiny and soft as silk, but his skin is so dry and flaky! I've tried quite a few things but nothing has helped his flaky skin.

Guest SoulsMom
Since Soul is on a special diet he gets a topical spray before bedtime for the flakies:

http://www.amazon.com/HyLyt-Bath-Oil-Coat-...r/dp/B0002YFQGW

Thanks Miz Muir! I was too embarassed to ask you that for the THIRD time, and I seem to be catching Dad's problem...

:lol and everytime someone asks I have to go get the damn bottle or look it up online 'cause I can't remember

Thanks so much for the "link" as I just ordered a 32 oz bottle from them. My two black afs do well on Grizzly Salmon Oil but Brandy the greyhound always has dry skin, dandruff even though she is fed high quality food. She has an immune system problem blah blah so hope this helps her. Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest speedoketo

I gotta vouch for Eicosaderm, I love that stuff! My first grey has been on it for 10 months and his coat is twice as thick as when I got him, soft as silk, and you can almost see your reflection in him since he's so shiny plus he has nice hard poops. My second came to me with an atrocious coat - dry, thin, brittle, and coarse with lots of dandruff. He's been on Eicosaderm a month and already his hair is really filling in - turns out his butt is only mostly bald, not all the way :lol: (I'll post in a few months if the bald butt goes away). His coat is already softer and getting shinier every day but I'm guessing that's also a product of better nutrition. The dandruff went away in a matter of days. I can't vouch for his poops yet though because he's getting treated for intestinal parasites and they're gross. I agree - there's no way I'd take them off Eicosaderm or switch to something else.

Just wanted to mention for any one who will be trying the EicoaDerm, it's in a pump bottle but be sure not to over spray it, it really stains, so please be careful

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg