Stanley Is Sick

Guest poopsie1

Guest poopsie1

Stanley is better !!!! I'm working for the rest of the week 6-2:30 and when I came home he met me with his favorite stuffy, Fido (the size of a cocker spaniel). He insisted taking it outside which he hasn't done since Saturday. He ate all his boiled chicken, hamburg, and rice and even came into the kitchen to beg when the chicken was being cut up. Tonight I'm going to take him for a very short walk to get him a little exercise. My boy is on his way back!!!! Thanks again for all your good thoughts and wishes. I'm just so darn excited I could spit. :yay

Edited by poopsie1

We'll be thinking of you and Stanley.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Prayers being sent to Stanley. Please keep us updated on his condition.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh Anne Marie! I'm so sorry Stanley is feeling ill.

We will be holding you all in our thoughts. I hope it is just a tummy upset.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest poopsie1

Stanley spent the night at the vet. We orginally left him so they could do an x-ray and some blood work to rule out bloat. The vet said he had what is called a splintered stomach which is usually caused by pain and his heart rate was elevated. When he called around 7 he said his stomach was in the normal position and his blood work was good so his feeling was it is just a tummy bug. I elected to let him stay overnight so they could get him on some medication and try a little food and also let him rest without Dan running around him. He also wanted to check him again this morning to make sure he's on the road to recovery. I have to call between 8:30 and 9 and should be able to pick him up after that. I got into work at 4 this morning so I could leave whenever and have the day to spend with him. I'm sure we'll both sleep through most of it :lol . One thing the vet said did concern me. He said Stanley's spleen is very slightly swollen but is in a normal position. He has a greyhound and treats quite a few so he said he has seen that greyhounds have slightly larger spleens and he attributes this to the fact they take more blood in because they're runners. Anyone have any insight on this cuz now I'm freaking out again. I explained to the vet that Stanley's sister died in October from hemangio and I was concerned about the genetic link. He responded that he really did think it was just a bug but to watch him and, if he continued having problems, I might want to have an ultrasound or an echo. I don't know if I should be proactive and just have it done or if it's better to leave well enough alone. My co-workers are telling me I'm getting too paranoid but he's my baby and this just scares the crap out of me. Thanks everyone for all your well wishes and prayers.

Guest SoulsMom
Stanley spent the night at the vet. We orginally left him so they could do an x-ray and some blood work to rule out bloat. The vet said he had what is called a splintered stomach which is usually caused by pain and his heart rate was elevated. When he called around 7 he said his stomach was in the normal position and his blood work was good so his feeling was it is just a tummy bug. I elected to let him stay overnight so they could get him on some medication and try a little food and also let him rest without Dan running around him. He also wanted to check him again this morning to make sure he's on the road to recovery. I have to call between 8:30 and 9 and should be able to pick him up after that. I got into work at 4 this morning so I could leave whenever and have the day to spend with him. I'm sure we'll both sleep through most of it :lol . One thing the vet said did concern me. He said Stanley's spleen is very slightly swollen but is in a normal position. He has a greyhound and treats quite a few so he said he has seen that greyhounds have slightly larger spleens and he attributes this to the fact they take more blood in because they're runners. Anyone have any insight on this cuz now I'm freaking out again. I explained to the vet that Stanley's sister died in October from hemangio and I was concerned about the genetic link. He responded that he really did think it was just a bug but to watch him and, if he continued having problems, I might want to have an ultrasound or an echo. I don't know if I should be proactive and just have it done or if it's better to leave well enough alone. My co-workers are telling me I'm getting too paranoid but he's my baby and this just scares the crap out of me. Thanks everyone for all your well wishes and prayers.

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering about you and your boy. As for the ultrasound . . . if he's already there, and they have the means and you have the $$ why not go ahead and do it? I paid about $200 this past fall for an ultrasound and peace of mind. Let us know how he is this morning, I know how scary it can be :grouphug

I explained to the vet that Stanley's sister died in October from hemangio and I was concerned about the genetic link. He responded that he really did think it was just a bug but to watch him and, if he continued having problems, I might want to have an ultrasound or an echo. I don't know if I should be proactive and just have it done or if it's better to leave well enough alone. My co-workers are telling me I'm getting too paranoid but he's my baby and this just scares the crap out of me. Thanks everyone for all your well wishes and prayers.

Anne Marie,

I don't think you are being paranoid. I didn't want to leap to a *worst case* scenario too fast but Catwalk's hemangio was in my mind too when I saw Stanley's symptoms. I don't think there is a genetic link, but given what happened with Catwalk, an ultrasound might help rule it out and set your mind at rest.

The tick panel is also a great idea. Please keep us updated.

All our best wishes for Catwalk's big brother. I still miss my girl so badly.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest Flysmom

I am glad he is doing better!!

If you can run the tests run them!! I would. I am the kind of person who can imagine the worst,worst case scenario (I am slowly working my way to insanity..) and I worry constantly... Run the tests for your peace of mind!

Guest poopsie1

Stanley came home from the vet yesterday afternoon. The vet has called it gastroenteritis and has put him on a bland diet for the next three days, introducing regular food back into his diet on Friday. He was pretty quiet yesterday but ate his hamburg and rice and went out in the yard to pee and poop. He did do one little bark and a short run to the fence to greet the neighbor dog and he did come and lie down by me when we were eating dinner but the rest of the time he just stayed on his bed. I asked the vet about having a tick panel done - he said a full panel was done in 2007 and everything was negative. He has had no more vomiting but his stools are still a little loose. Explained by the vet that the GE works its way backwards so the no vomiting is a good sign. He was given two injections of Celenia (I thought this was the spelling but can't find anything online, I'll have to look at the paperwork again) at the hospital. I didn't think it would be a good idea to walk him last night but will try for a short one tonight since the weather is supposed to be nice. I expected him to come home and be his usual perky, goofy self and am so nervous and disappointed that he's not doing better. My DH keeps telling me that this is why he's on a bland diet for three days but I'm just so scared there is something else going on. Please keep the prayers coming.

Guest poopsie1
Sending more prayers.

Was a tick panel done or just a snap? Which tick diseases were checked for? What were the results?

edited to add: you live in tick country and 2007 was two years ago......

I have to go back through my paperwork but he said a tick panel (and said Erlichia, Babesia, Lyme, RMSF). I do remember now that Stanley was checked as well as my DH because we had a lot of ticks on all of us in 2007. Last year, though, neither Stanley nor Dan had even one. I didn't walk them in the wooded area where I used to take Stanley. Would it be presumptuous of me to send an email to Dr. C and ask him about the spleen thing when it isn't an emergency?