Neyloa Saw Her Orthopedist

Neyla had her appt with Dr. Canapp yesterday. X-rays hadn't been taken since Jan of last year so redoing those were our first priority. The new x-rays showed no significant change in the bone deterioration and it has not progressed into her P2. Given the amount of time we've been following this, and the lack of any swelling, pus, warmth, etc. he now feels very strongly that this is just DJD from an old injury. He is no longer really suspicious of a fungal or bacterial infection and reconfirmed his feeling that this is not squamous cell carcinoma. :clap

My vet had suggested asking him about a possible cortisone injection. He suggested doing it with fluoroscopy so he can get it right in the joint b/w the P2 & P3. Since that would require light (twilight) anesthesia, he could get samples for biopsy and to culture so we could get an official diagnosis and officially rule out the nastier stuff. Then we'd just see if that worked and if so, for how long. He's had patients that range from no response to only needing injections yearly. With that as a potential plan, he did not think we should amputate yet. So he asked me to give some thought to whether we want to to do the cortisone, and I got an estimate for all of that (nearly $500 :eek ).

At this point, that seems like a no brainer, but I'm going to mull it over for a few days. I am curious if anyone has done something similar and what your results were. Also, he said that since it's such a small amount in such a localized place (only a few drops), we don't need to be concerned about side effects (aside from some stinging pain for hte first couple fo days. Anyone have anything to add to that?

Overall, I'm just thrilled we're not looking at amputation yet. I consider that a successful visit! :yay

Oh, he also did a gait analysis with this new high tech equipment they got, but they are waiting for the lab to analyze the data. That will tell us how she's bearing weight on that bad paw - whether she's rolling her paw, etc.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest RocketDog

I have no experience with injections in my dogs, but I have a friend who had a cortisone injection in her knee and she was basically immobilized for two weeks because of pain/swelling inside the joint - turns out she's allergic to something in the injectable, but once the procedure was done there was nothing the doctor could do other than tell her to 'tough it out'

cortisone shots hurt like hell!

:nod

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Had a shot in my hip and other than pressure, it didn't hurt a bit. Different strokes.........................

That's VERY good news about Neyla's toe! Hopefully someone out there will have some sage advice for you, but "no amputation" is about as good as it can get right now!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am sorry I have no advise, But I can vouch the shots do hurt. We are happy to hear the good news and we will pray for even better news!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Dr. Canapp warned me that she would be painful for a couple of days, but her toe already hurts all of the time and she's already on pain meds. Probably not as much as the cortisone will hurt, but if it gives us a year or even 6 months pain free, we'll take it! Although he said it's a stinging pain - sounds like it might be a little worse than expected depending on how she reacts. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sounds like you already have a solid plan of action. I've no experience with what you're describing, so can't offer advice. But I will say $500 for the entire procedure, including anesthesia, fluoroscopy, biopsy, cortisone shot... sounds like a helluva deal. I paid almost that much just to get Tip's dislocated toe re-located a couple years ago. <_<

The gait analysis sounds fascinating, I'd love to see how that works. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.