Tore Off A Toe Nail!

Guest StriderDog

Guest StriderDog

Strider just came in from the backyard dripping blood from his right hind foot - his outside toe nail is GONE! :eek

I sat with him while DH ran to the drugstore to get gauze and tape (what a time to realize we were out!) and I got the bleeding stopped. We cleaned up the foot and wrapped the toe in gauze, then put a sock over the entire foot to keep it clean.

What else should we do? What should we expect from the healing process?

Is the quick still exposed? If so, how much?

If a decent amt, you might want to bring him to the vet on Monday and have him sedated and cut it back.

If not much, keep it clean and keep him from licking it for a few days.

You can also soak it in Epsom salts too.

First time Ryan did this, the vet just wrapped it - a few times since he bled through the wrap a couple of times. And I keep it clean and wrapped and dry for a week or so.

Last time (in Feb), the vet wanted to put him out and trim the last itty bitty tiny bit of quick that was still exposed. I said no. She kept pushing it. I said no.

I kept it clean and wrapped for a couple of days. epsom salt bath a couple of times and it's fine.

You might want some pain meds and/or antibiotics. Ryan was in a lot of pain this last time.

When it started happening with Misty, she had quite a bit of the quicks exposed and she screamed a few times because they would get caught on her blanket.

Under anesthesia, my vet removed the nails as they were all about to fall off and cut the quicks way back. We used Tramadol for pain and Epsom Salt soaks which really helped

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Hollys2hounds

Lexy did this recently too. The entire nail gone. I spoke with the vet, who did give an antibiotic, but amazingly after the blood stopped, she did not seem to be in any pain.

I thought the nail would never grow back, but it did.

Like Trudy said, try to keep it dry, and clean.

Good luck Strider!

Feel Better!

Holly

Oh crap. So messy and nasty. Been there with Merlin! One of the things I found most useful was using disposable booties from Doggies' Best for walks. I just slipped it on the paw in question and it would keep it clean during walks, which helped prevent infection. If you're interested, you can order them here, or check your local pet stores. They're biodegradable, too. I used them several times, I just make sure they're clean on the inside. I usually wrap the paw with gauze and then put the bootie on.

I would clean it regularly. If the nail even grows back, it will take months and months to do so. Merlin's finally grew back - crooked! :blink:

Good luck!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest StriderDog

Thanks guys!

There's no quick at all - it's like a nail never even existed on that foot. Strider doesn't seem to be in pain at all - even dripping blood, he came in from outside and went straight to the supper bowl to munch on leftovers! He's been walking on the paw just fine, even balancing on it to use the other hind paw to scratch. He has even tried to romp with the puppy, but we put the kibosh on that!

I'll keep a close eye on him.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

We've popped off several over the years. Some with quick exposed, some with everything gone. I did very little other than keep a watch for infection (other than initially freak out the first couple of times). Stopping and cleaning up the blood seemed to be the worst part.

Give Strider some hugs from us.

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Guest Dillymom

Yikes- Lola did that last summer and it took forever to heal.

Like others said, keep it clean and dry. I had to use a boot on Lola b/c she was always trying to lick at it. I'd keep an eye out for any signs of infection.