Baby Has Hookworms

Baby, my little Roadkill queen, picked up hookworms sometime this week :puke . I put both hounds on the dewormer (Riley's not showing any signs of the little buggers, but I see no reason to go through multiple rounds of this, even though I almost CHOKED at the cost of the treatments!)

I've done a slightly early yard pickup of all of the leaf/mulch along the fenceline today (where both houndies do their business), and have done a close walk through the track yard for any overlooked diarrhea patches (from the last 2 nights' urgent trips). I'm also getting all of their stuffies washed (Riley takes them to the yard to demonstrate his ferocious hunting abilities).

Is there anything else that I should be doing to prevent recurrence? The info from the vet said there were yard products that should probably be used that wouldn't hurt grass (hah -- now that I've got my first grey who likes to run, there is no grass in my mud pit), but they didn't offer any recommendations nor did they try to sell me any. Any advice on whether its needed (and what to use/get)?

thanks!

Julie

Guest StriderDog

My vet (back when the muttpuppy picked up hooks) said to just pick up the poo as best you can and keep your pups on Interceptor instead of Heartguard year round. Heartguard does not guard against hookworms like Interceptor does and the makers of Interceptor will pay for your dogs' hookworm treatment if they develop them while on the product. (You just have to keep the Interceptor receipts so that you can prove that you keep your pups on it year round!)

We just fought a bout of hookworms here. Bootsy had 3 separate treatments, 2-3 weeks apart, and we put him on revolution to prevent reinfection. We just pick up the poop when he goes. Nothing else.

Good luck - not a fun war to wage!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest sirsmom
My vet (back when the muttpuppy picked up hooks) said to just pick up the poo as best you can and keep your pups on Interceptor instead of Heartguard year round. Heartguard does not guard against hookworms like Interceptor does and the makers of Interceptor will pay for your dogs' hookworm treatment if they develop them while on the product. (You just have to keep the Interceptor receipts so that you can prove that you keep your pups on it year round!)

My vet says the exact same thing. Interceptor controls them. I read somewhere to pick up the poop in your yard and the sun helps too

thanks everyone -- Last night (10h post-treatment) was the first night this week that we all got some sleep without multiple emergency yard trips!!! YEAH!

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it sounds like I'll be making a change in my yard pick-up habits [picking up the poop is usually pretty easy, since we do lots of walks anyway & there isn't much for the yard except the early morning and late night rounds -- but I'll need to get in the habit of picking it up more than once per week]. Thanks for the new info on Interceptor -- Baby was just tested (2w ago) for heartworm and Riley goes this week -- I'll check with the vet on switching them both over to Interceptor (and see if they'll take this unopened box of Heartguard back so that we don't have to wait to switch).

thanks!!

julie