Zoe's Going To The E-vet This Morning - Update

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

Zoe's kidney issues flared up in the middle of the night and she's not doing very well. She woke me around 3:00, which is her normal routine, but this time I immediately noticed she was standing in that weird squated position. She paced around for most of the remainder of the night. I called our vet at 9:00 and he's seeing her at 11:30 this morning. I asked that they run more blood work to see where her numbers are compared to a month ago when they were better than they were 2 months ago.

We've changed her food completely to Purina N/F, she's taking an herb that I can't remember the name of right now and she was on Baytril. When she was on Baytril, she seemed to be doing much better so hopefully that will do the trick.

I know she's pushing 15 and I'm being overly optimistic, but I can't lose her. I just can't.

My husband is in Florida for work, my parents are in Florida for the winter, my niece is working today as is my sister. Once again, I'm all by myself dealing with this. This sucks. Thanks for listening to me.

Edited by 4baddogs

Hoping to hear good news after you've seen the vet. Dealing with these issues alone is really tough, I know.

We've got you both tucked in our prayers. Please let us know what the vet has to say

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Vinnie

Keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers and hoping they are able to make her comfortable at your visit today. Never alone, gter's are always here for each other. Hugs and scritches.

Guest 4baddogs

Well, after a thorough exam including internal, the doctor feels it's her kidney failure problems. He ran bloodwork and her numbers are actually better than they were 2 weeks ago.

He gave her an injection of Baytril (per my suggestion because it's a MIRACLE drug on her), sent her home with oral Baytril and Torbutrol (as needed so she'll rest). Hopefully she'll bounce back soon.

I asked if he felt I was being naively optomistic about this and said no. I just don't want to keep pushing her for me instead of doing what's right for her. I know she can't live to be 20.

I love this dog more than life itself and can't possibly imagine her not being her. :(

Holding you both in my thoughts and prayers. :hope Hoping you have much more quality time with your precious Zoe. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:( I hope she feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Is the herb she's taking called rehmannia? That's what we give our dog with kidney issues, and it has worked wonders. Of course, and just in the interest of full disclosure, it also helped that we discovered he is hypothyroid. Getting the thyroid to work up to speed is helpful to kidneys.

Hang in there. Our very traditional vets *swears* by rehmannia for kidneys.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest 4baddogs
Is the herb she's taking called rehmannia? That's what we give our dog with kidney issues, and it has worked wonders. Of course, and just in the interest of full disclosure, it also helped that we discovered he is hypothyroid. Getting the thyroid to work up to speed is helpful to kidneys.

Hang in there. Our very traditional vets *swears* by rehmannia for kidneys.

Yes, that's the one - Rehmannia 8. I'm looking at the bottle right now. She takes 2 tablets in the morning and 2 at night. Perhaps that's why her bloodwork looked so much better, even at 2 weeks?

She finally woke up after a 5 hour nap. She seems to be doing a lot better and ate normally. She's resting again and I think she needs that.

My husband is the worlds BIGGEST optimist/avoider - take your pick - and when I talked to him today, he said "she'll be fine". Whenever one of the dogs is really bad, he doesn't want to face the facts. Me, on the other hand, is doom-and-gloom / worst case scenario because I want to be prepared. Perfect match, huh?

So I'll be sleeping on the living room floor with her tonight because she won't sleep in our bedroom, never has. I want to be sure she's ok. Maybe I should pop a Torbi. LOL

Checking in with prayers for Zoe. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest 4baddogs

Thanks for you toughts and prayers for Zoe. She seems to be doing pretty well today. She slept a lot, probably due to the Torbi, she ate like a lil' piggy and she keeps going outside to enjoy the nice weather we're having. She had a bit of the scoots from the Baytril injection but nothing major.

Speaking of Baytril - she could be a Bloodhound. I've been successfully hiding her meds in CoolWhip, but not this time. She smelled the Baytril the second she went to lick the spoon. So I tried to put it into her food - didn't work. So down her throat it went and I felt so bad because it appears that's what we're going to have to rely on.

Thanks again - GT'ers are the best! :)

Now I just need to get through Kirby's surgery on Wednesday.....

I think that Baytril can be taken with dairy products so maybe try it in cream cheese or ice cream because that usually just slides right down.

Any time I've used Torb, it knocks my guys out.

We've got her in our prayers and Kirby for Wed.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless