Frisky Female

Guest Bethroze

Guest Bethroze

We have been questioning a rescued female that has been bleeding vaginally for a couple of weeks around our house. We took her in and had her checked out only to hear that she has a scar from a spaying, and that her bacteria count was very high in her urine sample. She is on antibiotics.

Today, she has my neutered male all worked up. We have had to separate them into different parts of the house, and sit down and have a talk with our children. :blush

Could the scar be from something else? An xray was taken of her kidneys to check for stones, do you think they could see if she was truly fixed? We really need to get this girl fixed up so that we can find a home for her.

If a piece of ovarian tissue was left in when she was spayed, it can cause a dog to go into heat. Xrays would not show if she had been spayed, unless her uterus was really enlarged (something like a pyometra could be seen on xrays). Especially if she's attracting males, I'd wonder if she either wasn't spayed at all or if some tissue was left behind. Are there no records saying that she was previously spayed? If not, the only way to know for sure would likely be an exploratory surgery, but I'd discuss your concerns and options with your vet. Good luck!

Guest StriderDog

If she's allowing a male to mount her, she's in heat. Dogs aren't floozies unless their hormones tell them to be.

Sounds like she's either still intact or the vet left a piece behind.

I've seen plenty of female dogs (and a few males!) that are spayed just stand there and get humped--but it sounds to me as if this particular dog may well not be spayed. There should be paperwork on her from wherever she came from--can you track her back to the source??

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest RocketDog

My spayed girl attracts the attention off all the boys (it's almost a running joke on the weekly group walks now) but she wouldn't stand idly by and let them mount her. I'd definitely check with the adoption group you got her from and see if they have paperwork for her spay.

Males can often alert to a female who has an infection. If they've never been used, their instinct does not know how to tell the difference between a sexually ready bitch, or one with an infection.

Naples has had an vaginal infection again...she is on antibiotics now. Anytime she has one, my boys tell me. Yes, even the neutered one!

So, it could be the infection. I would go through the course of antibiotics, and see what happens. If the boys are still inteested, take her back in. She either needs a longer course of antibiotics, or an ultrasound to see if there is anything in there.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest CygnetC

If she has a severe infection it smells similar to a dog being in heat, hence your male's sudden interest. How many days has she been bleeding for? If she begins to "flag" around day 10 (give or take a few) I would be willing to bet there's a little something left in there!

Guest StriderDog

Talk to your vet and see what options are out there. Flagging and standing for your males is a sure sign that she's entire or the surgeon missed a piece.

Guest Bethroze

We have gotten the new antibiotic and things are definitely calming down around here. :) Now the question is, was it the infection, or has she run her cycle? :huh

Guest StriderDog
We have gotten the new antibiotic and things are definitely calming down around here. :) Now the question is, was it the infection, or has she run her cycle? :huh

If it were just the boys interested in her, I would say infection - but if she was soliciting the guys' attention (standing like a sawhorse, sweeping her tail to one side) then I would think she's still got some lady bits. :dunno

Guest Bethroze

Not good then...she was doing the "come hither stance" again last night. I accidentally left her out with my other greys while I went upstairs to tuck in my human kids, and then the yelping started. Apparently my neutered male got him some and Reesie didn't enjoy it.

I just hate that we are going to have to put so much money into this dog that we originally rescued for the short term. I want her to be all right for when we get her a perfect forever home, but I thought she was in better shape than she is. I'm sure all you seasoned foster people are shaking your head, but this is a first time for me.

Guest StriderDog
Not good then...she was doing the "come hither stance" again last night. I accidentally left her out with my other greys while I went upstairs to tuck in my human kids, and then the yelping started. Apparently my neutered male got him some and Reesie didn't enjoy it.

I just hate that we are going to have to put so much money into this dog that we originally rescued for the short term. I want her to be all right for when we get her a perfect forever home, but I thought she was in better shape than she is. I'm sure all you seasoned foster people are shaking your head, but this is a first time for me.

Doesn't your adoption group pay for the hound's medical? I would say skip the testing and just make her an appointment for a spay - that way the vet can get in there and take out the offending bits, be it the whole kit-and-kaboodle or the little pieces left behind.

Guest PhillyPups

There are many vets that spay females, make sure you know of a greyhound savvy one. And have the hormone test done. I have heard it was not an expensive test to run. There are many things that can leave a "spay like" scar ~ a c-section, even fertilization, which, if she never had pups, is possible it didn't take.

Your group should have funds for spay/neuter so that a good home could be found.

Please feel free to pm me if you need to discuss this.

I will keep her in my :hope:hope