Degenerative Arthritis Advice

We had to move our appt to tomorrow afternoon.

No redness or heat on the joint and he doesn't lick it. The swelling is really hard, not mushy like fluid. It feels like bone.

I talked to my vet today and she said the ortho was confident that the hardness was thickened cartilege and tissue, and that we wouldn't see a lot of fluid inflammation inside the joint because the inflammation is in the tissues. So she's warned me that we might not be able to get enough fluid for testing.

The ortho said that it looked like osteoarthritis on the films and this was consistent with early injury/breaks in the sesamoid bones that had led to bone fractures being reabsorbed (hence, not showing on film) and the soft tissues being chronically inflamed long before we got him. He doesn't think there's fluid accumulation that would mark TBD.

Does that make sense?

I'll feel better if we test it. We're going to try Adequan starting tomorrow.

Has anyone tried subcutaneous Adequan? I read that it had shown equally effective SQ as IM injections, and I'm curious if anyone's tried it -- if he needs this long-term, I'd rather do it SQ at home than IM.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest LindsaySF

WAG's foster dog Becky is young and presented with arthritis and inflammation in all of her joints. The first steps were joint taps, x-rays, and testing for all TBD's under the sun. Diagnosis was eventually erosive immune-mediated polyarthritis. She is on immunosuppressive meds (prednisone and leflunomide) and might be for life.

If the NSAID's can't handle the tissue inflammation, it might be immune-mediated and you'll need to try steroids. Good luck!

Thanks for all the good advice.

We're trying Adequan first to see if it can reduce the swelling. Then we'll try NSAIDs if not. Ortho was confident that we weren't seeing anything other than early onset osteoarthritis, and thinks he was probably injured young and reinjured often, without being given time to heal in between.

Thanks everyone!!

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

We're trying Adequan first to see if it can reduce the swelling. Then we'll try NSAIDs if not. Ortho was confident that we weren't seeing anything other than early onset osteoarthritis, and thinks he was probably injured young and reinjured often, without being given time to heal in between.

Thanks everyone!!

Glad to hear this! Please keep us posted on your baby!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest sinaminsmom

Thanks everyone!!

I've been researching Adequan and saw that you were going to try it -we just had our first injection yesterday. What was your experience like? Hope he feeling better by now, Lynda