Vaccine Reactions

Guest tlh0739

Guest tlh0739

I took my 8 year old grey into see the vet due to corneal abrasion. He was put on tobramycin opthalmic drops every 2 hours. He was also given his sentiel pills. He was vaccinated for DHPP(3Yr), Bordetell, and Lepto. He was fine but 10 hours later he was panic breathing and difficulty with walking. Do you think its one of vaccines? I'm waiting for the vet to return my call. He is just laying on the couch at present.

I have a grey who is now 13.5 years old and two and 1/2 years ago she had a reaction to her vaccines even though they were given at three year intervals. She ran a fever, was lethargic and did not want to eat for about four days. The vet confirmed it probably was a reaction to the vaccines. She did recover without any problems but it was a scary experience. We do not give vaccines (other than rabies, because of state law) to any of our greyhounds over the age of six as a result of that situation.

Guest speedoketo

It doesn't matter if a vaccine is given at 1 year or 3 year intervals - that isn't going to affect whether or not a reaction will occur. The immune system just overreacts and we don't always know exactly why it happens. Some vets will recommend continuing to give vaccines even after a reaction and will pre-med the dogs with antihistamies to decrease the chance of a reaction because the threat of the disease is more serious than the threat of a reaction. It really depends on who your vet is though, I had one who didn't vaccinate ferrets because she had such an overwhelming number react.

Guest tlh0739

Patrick is finally back to normal. He's playing and walking up and down steps better. The vet feels it was a reaction. He told me not to get the lepto again. I felt really bad for him. He really scared me but he is much better. He still not eating like I like him to but he is rooing again and roaching.

Premedicating with antihistamine is a good idea. We do this for my Zema. Even tho lepto is a common culprit, it isn't the only culprit. Zema doesn't react to that one. Go figure.

Glad your pup is back to normal now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.