New Greyhound Not Doing Well

Hi Tony :)

First of all :grouphug to you and the RBMan. I can only imagine the journey you 2 are having fresh off the track. When Sammi came to me in 2006, she was already in foster care for a few months, but it was still an adjustment period going from a home with multiple dogs to being the reigning princess and only dog. I was going back through old emails and some old posts from when i first brought Sammi home and then in the months following and wow.... i started laughing at myself in some of them, and others I am jsut amazed at how much she changed and came into herself while here.

The first month I was convinced that they gave me the wrong dog. :lol Serial Stuffy Killer? She didn't even look at her bin of goodies! Then one day I heard a *squeak* from the other room. She stopped playing when I came in the room :( Then a bit later.... I was allowed to be in the room, but not look at her playing. Then a bit later.... I could watch, but not interact. NOW.... she plays fetch in the house w/ my son and I, she will shake the stuffy fast-toss in the air-bounce off the ceiling-catch it mid air and slam it into a play bow, she will bounce a stuffy off the back of my head while I am on the computer <_<, and yes.. most lose their squeaker :lol. She hordes them on the bed, hides them under my pillows (her fave to do this with is the dreaded screaming monkey) and tries to ninja my son's stuffed animals.

Roaching? Oh my... I was so fascinated by this concept. I would look at photos others would post and wish mine would roach. Now... I get a foot in the back, I've woken to a dew claw almost up my nose, and I can giggle at her failed roach attempts when she's in a goofy mood. Cuddle bug? I was SO envious of others. While Sammi loved my bed, the couch, etc... she didnt really cuddle with me. Now tho... I've woken up gasping for air because of the 78 pound blanket sprawled on me. I've forgotten what it feels like to have the couch to myself. I can stretch on the floor and w/in 15 minutes she will be stretched next to me. At night, unless my son is ill (she plays nursemaid then) she will be on my bed, touching me somehow in her sleep.

I'm not telling you these stories to make you worry or feel bad yours doesn't. I'm pointing out that it takes time. I went from a shy girl that I thought, while fascinated with me, was very reserved... to a total companion and lovebug (with nutbar tendencies :lol) She's still shy in new situations, but she trusts me and looks to me for direction. I was the one that posted about our forever D when she first came home. Like others, and you, I doubted my choice many times of adopting her. She's not perfect, she never will be; but who of us IS perfect?

For the sleeping all the time... yes, they DO sleep a LOT. I call Sammi my 78 pound cat. But... they aren't always sleeping. ;) RBMan could be just removing himself from the activity and listening, learning, processing all this information. He can observe without being observed. My room was Sammi's "safe haven" when she first arrived. because of my job (worked til 4am) I have heavy thermal drapes in my room, it's always darker and quieter in there. TV, radio, traffic, your computer, etc... all can be overwhelming if they aren't used to it. He may sense your room as a haven, since you sleep in there, and knows it's your "kennel" so to speak. If your computer is in there, you may be surprised to discover you are being silently observed, or when he's in the same room with you. You may think he's sleeping away the day, but he could be awake and stealth watching you when you aren't watching him. his old schedule is gone. He has a new one now. He doesn't know when food time, walk time, nap time, or play time is, yet. He's learning tho.

Right now, he's feeling overwhelmed, icky tummy, out of sorts and maybe a little depressed. In time, you'll have that helicopter tail and bouncing grey when you even get NEAR his leash. You'll have zoomies in the house. You'll have that loving greeting only a dog can give you when you come home. You'll also lose feeling in your legs and forget what the whole couch to yourself feels like :lol You aren't expected to instantly love him, or even love him the same way you loved your heart dog. But you'll see the love that is his and the love back he gives you.

As others have suggested, I would get to the vet as soon as you can. Even if he's A-OK, it's a good baseline to work off of for future vet visits. I think our group required you take your grey to the vet within the first few weeks so that you 1~ caught anything amiss and 2~ Had the initial wellness check so that if something was ever "off" they had a basis of comparison.

Good luck, take a deep breath and welcome to the family :) We're here if you need us.

~Colleen

Guest lynne893
P2160003.jpg

I'm trying this for the first time, here is Rubber Band Man - no real name yet

P2160004.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/aryon92/P2160005.jpg

more pics

He's SOOOOO cute!!!! OMG! Wow. I like the name Rubber Band man. Maybe his "real" name could be "rubberband"? I know that sounds dorky, but I think its cute. He is GORGEOUS.

All of the things you describe in all of your posts sound pretty normal to me. I'd try to get him in to the vet just to make sure he doesn't have worms. Otherwise, things WILL get better.

We brought home a foster in September who'd been bounced from a home after a couple of years there, and they must've had a yard because our big boy (87 lbs!) didn't pee or poop on a leash-walk (we have an apartment) at all for the first 24-36 hrs. I was getting FREAKED out I was so worried. Finally, he had a HUGE explosion of orange diarreah-- pure liquid-- then nothing more, no pee or anything for another day. He was holding it all in, didn't know what to do with himself on a leash. After two days, things finally began to get normal. Our permanant gray, Timber, showed him how it's done, and for the next month, he only peed if she peed-- and right on top of it :rolleyes:

In terms of the sleeping all the time, he's probably worn out. My husband had major surgery 10 days ago, and finally had a BM yesterday, and has tried to hard that he's back asleep in the bedroom right now-- something he never does. He's not a napper. You know how it is, you get tired out when you feel sick. Oh yeah, and greyhounds sleep 23 out of 24 hours a day! They're SO calm! They'll have their little spurts of play and goofiness, but generally, they're couch potatoes.

In terms of his personality, that takes a month or two to start to come out. I've seen it in all my rescues. It'll come, and it'll capture your heart. They really do just seem shy and quiet and not all that loving for the first month. Just remember that these dogs have been bounced around all their lives. They really don't know that you're "theirs" yet. He will, give it time.

Meanwhile, though, keep your sense of humor about you. Try to have a little fun with him with his toys, etc. Talk in a goofy voice to him, get down on the floor with him, stroke him. He'll come around, and you'll start to relax. And give him a name! It's fun to decide on one, and that'll help with the bonding for you and him, both. Even if you ultimately just foster him for this time period, it won't hurt him to be called by a name. Greys are surprisingly resiliant dogs. Really, though, keep in mind that even if you only foster him for a month or two, you're teaching him important skills. Even learning to recognize being called by name is a skill for him, so go ahead and do that.

You're doing great. It's clear that you care. You're a good "dad" to him!!!!

:gh_bow:dogcookie:bighug:grouphug:cookie:confetti:wub::confetti:wub:

I don't really have any advice on whether you should keep Rubber Band Man or not, just personal experience.

When I got Carl my heart and soul dog, Kobie, had run away 5 weeks before. I was in no way planning to get another dog, I was still actively searching for Kobie. I'd gone to an animal rescue to see a dog that looked like Kobie, but I knew in my heart wasn't him...I just needed to do SOMETHING in addition to roaming the hills in my neighborhood. Anyway, the people at the rescue "saw me coming" and I ended up with a 75 lbs. greyhound in my back seat. He was as if off the track. It turned out that he also had a hefty case of separation anxiety...big time.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken him home, I truly wasn't ready for a new dog, but I decided to stick it out, I'd never given up on a dog before in my life and I didn't want to start with Carl. My heart was heavy enough and I couldn't bear the thought of returning him because of me. Also, the conditions in which Carl had been living in were not optimal, he was kenneled in the high desert. The folks at the kennel were kind to all the dogs, but it wasn't a home setting like he, and all the dogs there, deserved.

Initially, he and I did a lot of staring at each other. I didn't warm up to him and visa versa for long time. I know that part of the problem for him was ME. Animals are so sensitive, Carl was picking up on my ambivalence, sadness and all the other emotions I was going through after losing Kobie, still searching for him, crying every day and night because of my loss and my confusion about Carl. He totally picked up on it and responded accordingly.

I'd never adopted an adult dog, at least not without knowing it as a puppy. And a dog right off the track, well, it is a HUGE transition to them...and for you. They've never experienced most of the things we and our other dogs take for granted in daily living. It took Carl about 9 months to see changes and glimmers of his true personality. Even a year and a half later he continues to evolve, he has a great personality, he is certainly not the dog I brought home a year and a half ago. I'm glad he's with me and I know he is happy, too.

Do what is best for you and RBM, but do it with as clear of a head and heart as you can. You said you were attached to him already, I imagine the same is true for him. If you keep him, you can both work through this with a stronger bond. It sounds like a local group is willing to help you out, that is very very fortunate. I was lucky enough to get help from local groups that I hadn't adopted from, they gave me INCREDIBLE advice that completely changed the course of things for us. On the other hand, if it's not right for you now, the sooner you return him the better it will be for both of you.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest myjazzy

I you're still ambivalent about him, my guess is he can feel it and he's reacting to it. Add that to just being off the track and no wonder he's stressed out and not "acting right". He is not your other dog, and the sooner you stop making comparisons, the sooner things will get better. But, even though I hate for people to return dogs, maybe it's better if you do. To me, he looks depressed in the pictures.

Guest oldNELLIE

I don't know about looking depressed...I always think Nellie looks "depressed", except when it is time to eat!

You want to talk about being a dork...I'll ask my husband "do you think Nellie is depressed?" and he will look at her and say "hey, Nellie, why the long face?" :lol

It is so dumb it's not even funny.

Guest greyorkie

He's so beautiful! Looks quite comfy on your bed too! :)

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was...try not to compare your new dog to your former one. They will be different.

Relax and enjoy him. Good luck! :)

Guest arlosmom

I had a grey who had diarrhea, worms, urinary tract infection, seperation anxiety, you name it, I called my adoption coordinator one night about a month into it and told he I wanted to give him back. She came over and we all cried for hours but she convinced me to keep him and six years later when he finally passed away from intestinal cancer I thought the world had ended! He was so special and no dog could ever replace him. I have since adopted two more. Take a deep breath and be ever so patient with him, he doesn't know yet that he is in his forever home and you have no idea what kind of life he had before you. The advise in this forum is great and use your vet they will help you too. It also sounds like you have so folks near you with greys. We have a large local group where I live and they are always ready to help. They will become your best friends. Hang in there. :grouphug

Guest SueG201
I you're still ambivalent about him, my guess is he can feel it and he's reacting to it. Add that to just being off the track and no wonder he's stressed out and not "acting right". He is not your other dog, and the sooner you stop making comparisons, the sooner things will get better. But, even though I hate for people to return dogs, maybe it's better if you do. To me, he looks depressed in the pictures.

I think you need to take deep breath and stop comparing this dog to your old dog. I agree the greyhound looks depressed, he feels your vibes. Either you are totally committed to the new dog

or you are not, if you are not 100% this may not be the breed for you. I am not trying to be snarky

I just think it needs to be said. Best of luck in whatever decision you make