Tramadol - Updated At Post# 10

Our 4-1/2 year old girl Suze, with the mystery limp, started to cry out early yesterday afternoon while on her bed. Within an hour she was hardly able to move (DH managed to coax her outside) and when she did, she had the arched back, severe rear leg tremors and was panting heavily. Off to the Vet - exam yielded nothing so he gave her an IV injection of Rimadyl, IM "antii-nausea", and 100mg Tramadol. That was at about 3:30 pm. We hung around the Vet's office for another 30 minutes just to make sure she wasn't going to have a reaction (she vomitted twice while in the examining room) and she seemed to be experiencing some relief so we headed home. She was crated immediately.

By 7 pm she was so out of it that she didn't even know who was in the room with her, panting as heavily as ever, and thrashing her upper body around. I gave her an oral dose of Rimadyl at 9:30 but elected not to give any more Tramadol. We were able to get her up and outside where she basically walked in circles, peed, tried to poop (no luck) and went back in the house. We allowed her to plop down in our bedroom for the nigiht.

This morning she is in a different spot, so she was able to move during the night, but now she won't move at all. Doesn't want to eat but is drinking water - no more vomitting - and still panting, although not as heavily as last night.

Is my description of her condition a bad reaction to Tramadol or am I just being a hysterical Mom?

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Can you call your vet this morning? Wouldn't give her any other meds at all until you've talked to the vet. Hope it is just a bad reaction to one of the drugs and she will feel better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Found this LINK to some info....it sounds to me like the pain relief she is getting is not enough, rather than it being a bad reaction to the Tramadol.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

If a pet develops apparent sedation or bizarre behavior, the tramadol dose should be reduced

Not quite sure what "apparent sedation or bizarre behavior" is, she wasn't anywhere near "asleep", but her pupils were dialated and her eyes has that "bug-eyed" look to them. From about 7 to 9 pm, it appeared as though she wasn't "seeing" anything. I can't imagine what she would have been like if we had tried to get her up. She was crashing into furniture, walls and doors when we walked in the house at 4 pm! That's one of the reasons she was crated immediately.

After my first post, she vomitted again, but I think I may have given her too much water at one time. She is sssooo thirsty! Going back to sips every 30 minutes. Called the Vet but with limited hours, he's probably going to tell us to take her to the e-vet.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I've had to use Rimadyl (then switched to Deramaxx), and never was told to give it 2x a day. It's always been once a day. The vet gave a dose and then you did within a short period of time. Plus, I had a pup with cancer, and 50mg of Tramadol at one time was all I was instructed to give. Maybe it's too much meds, especially so close together?

I would be concerned about her liver functions and a possible reaction to the rimadyl

Pam

Our 4-1/2 year old girl Suze, with the mystery limp, started to cry out early yesterday afternoon while on her bed. Within an hour she was hardly able to move (DH managed to coax her outside) and when she did, she had the arched back, severe rear leg tremors and was panting heavily. Off to the Vet - exam yielded nothing so he gave her an IV injection of Rimadyl, IM "antii-nausea", and 100mg Tramadol. That was at about 3:30 pm. We hung around the Vet's office for another 30 minutes just to make sure she wasn't going to have a reaction (she vomitted twice while in the examining room) and she seemed to be experiencing some relief so we headed home. She was crated immediately.

By 7 pm she was so out of it that she didn't even know who was in the room with her, panting as heavily as ever, and thrashing her upper body around. I gave her an oral dose of Rimadyl at 9:30 but elected not to give any more Tramadol. We were able to get her up and outside where she basically walked in circles, peed, tried to poop (no luck) and went back in the house. We allowed her to plop down in our bedroom for the nigiht.

This morning she is in a different spot, so she was able to move during the night, but now she won't move at all. Doesn't want to eat but is drinking water - no more vomitting - and still panting, although not as heavily as last night.

Is my description of her condition a bad reaction to Tramadol or am I just being a hysterical Mom?

I started a new thread because it's renal failure!

It wasn't her back. I could babble, but I just need an answer to one question. How can a perfectly healthy 4-1/2 year old girl who had a clean urinalysis Wednesday afternoon be in acute renal failure at noon on Saturday? Even the e-vets are scratching their heads. No temp, ultra-sound is clear with slightly enlarged kidneys. She did KNOT get into any poisons. Bloodwork shows NO platlets and high WBC - massive infection. The next 3 to 9 hours will tell the story.

Please, please, PLEASE pray for my girl. She needs your prayers.

Edited to add:

Thanks so much for the prayers.

I spoke to the Vet about Lepto on Wednesday because Suze and Fuzz will be due for vaccine updates in May and he said that no one in our area has yet to diagnose a case of Lepto; he keeps in contact with all the Vets in the area. Suze was vaccinated for it in 2004 - when she and Fuzz adopted us. They have had titers each year since, but I don't remember if Lepto was included. She received only PBA on Wednesday due to a leaky bladder, no shots. She was on no other meds. I will ask the e-vet about TBD at 6 pm when I am to receive an update. She has been treated regularly with Frontline Plus.

Update 9:00 pm:

Spoke to the E-vet. Her blood values are going in the right direction and she is producing YELLOW urine instead of brown! I just love the color yellow! We're not out of the woods yet, but the improvement is certainly promising. Thank you all so much for your prayers! It's comforting to know that there's a support system like GT out there. Will talk to the E-vet at around midnight and we will go and see her first thing tomorrow morning. I'll update then.