Question About Reconcile/prozac And Cost...

After lengthy discussions with our vet and our trainer, we've decided to temporarily give Lucy "Reconcile" (aka Prozac, or Fluoxetine (generic)) while we're working on the behavior modification training. We went to pick it up from the vet today, and were shocked by the $75 per month cost. I'm looking at the paperwork it came with, and it appears to me to be the EXACT SAME drug as human Prozac (which is what the vet said). Am I crazy, or are we getting totally screwed? Is there a way for us to just get generic Prozac at Walgreens for $5/month or whatever? Has anyone been able to do this? Will they fill a prescription for a dog? What does the vet need to give us? The only difference seems to be the dosing - the Reconcile is 32mg but the vet said we would probably double it. Prozac comes in 10mg increments - so we could get pretty close if we split 10mg pills in half.

Don't get me wrong - I want to do whatever is best for Lucy - but if we're unnecessarily spending $70/month, I'd much rather put that money toward extra training sessions or treats!

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Yes, you certainly can get animal prescriptions filled at Walmart or any other human pharmacy, and fluoxetene/Prozac is on the $4 generic program. There is a very large dosing range for fluoextene, so it's a near certainty that you and your vet can come up with a solution using the less expensive generics. Fluoxetene is very difficult to split, because it comes as a capsule 99% of the time. I think I've seen it as a tablet once, ever.

I personally would be insistent on using the generic. I am all about saving where I can so that I can affort things that do NOT have cheaper alternatives.

Lynn

Guest EaglesMom

WOW, my guy has been on Reconcile for a couple of months and it has been a wonder drug for us, we pay $56 a month for it, but I will check with my vet about generic prozac (wonder if he would double the prescription, one for quinn, one for mom) :P

For my cat, I use Fluoxetine (generic) that is put in a cream and I rub it on her ear. It is $30 a month. I don't know how much Fluoxetine he gets at a time. I have to get it at a pharmacy that makes compounds, so I would assume that that would make it a little more pricey.

I suggest looking at Walmart or Costco Pharmacies....Or perhaps a Canadian Pharmacy, though I don't know anything about using Canadian Pharmacies. Is is Legal??? I know from my mother-in-law purchasing drug and having to pay the whole cost, that buying a larger dose and cutting the pills 1/2 is often cheaper than buying the correct dosage. I wouldn't let the cost detour me from trying it.

Prozac has been so beneficial for my cat. He feels so much better now and can relax and is not so up tight and anxious all the time. It couldn't have been fun for him to be anxious all the time.

Good luck

Yep, you can get a generic RX for Prozac, it's the same stuff - renamed, repackaged and sold for $$$. The same with Clomicalm, it's the same thing as the human generic of clomipramine hydrochloride. I had my vet give me an RX for that, so for $4 vs. $50+ per month I was happy to buy some gel caps, open the caps and split them, it was sooo easy and much more affordable.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I did not realize that reconcile was the same as prozac. I am defintely going to be calling my vet about switching to the generic for Minnie (non grey). She has been on it for several months and its been a miracle for us.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

THANK YOU! I figured there must have been a better way. I'm taking Lucy back for a follow-up in three weeks, so I will speak to the vet about switching to generic. I just wanted to hear that someone else had done it! That is also good to know about Clomicalm - I didn't realize that was "human" drug, too. I am also glad to hear that some of you have had good results with it. We are absolutely NOT looking to use it as a solution to the SA, just to help the behavior modification work more quickly.

Those of you that give the "human" Prozac - do you feed them the whole caplet, or do you open them up and put the powder in their food?

sig_border.jpg

I used generic Prozac for my Weim Theo who was dog-aggressive (and anxious), and had to play around with the dosage to get the right amount - he weighed about 80 pounds, my vet had prescribed 2-40mg capsules a day, but that was too much. He then wrote a second script for 20 mg capsules, and I ended up giving Theo 1 40mg and 1 20 mg per day and it was just right.

If I cut back further, the agression and anxiety came back.

This worked for me, so for less than $7 a month ($20 each for 6-month supply of the 20 mg and 40 mg) Theo was set.

Remember that you have to get through the first couple weeks while they adjust to the Prozac - Theo was like a Zombie during the adjustment period.

HTH.

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

When John E was on the "generic" Prozac, I purchased it at Walmart. He had an account there in his name. I eventually got his thryoid meds and his tramadol there as well.

Just a word; Prozac works best with behavior modification and reinforcement. Don't look to it to be a wonder drug on its own. Start at a low level and work your way up. We started at 20 mgs and were supposed to work to 40. With behavior modification, we stopped and maintained at 30 mgs. You don't want a vegetable; you do want a dog.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greydogluvr
THANK YOU! I figured there must have been a better way. I'm taking Lucy back for a follow-up in three weeks, so I will speak to the vet about switching to generic. I just wanted to hear that someone else had done it! That is also good to know about Clomicalm - I didn't realize that was "human" drug, too. I am also glad to hear that some of you have had good results with it. We are absolutely NOT looking to use it as a solution to the SA, just to help the behavior modification work more quickly.

Those of you that give the "human" Prozac - do you feed them the whole caplet, or do you open them up and put the powder in their food?

Prozac has a pretty bitter, stinging taste. I do not know how that would effect her eating her food.

Just a word; Prozac works best with behavior modification and reinforcement. Don't look to it to be a wonder drug on its own. Start at a low level and work your way up. We started at 20 mgs and were supposed to work to 40. With behavior modification, we stopped and maintained at 30 mgs. You don't want a vegetable; you do want a dog.

Yes - absolutely - in no way are we planning on it being the solution, and I absolutely don't want her too medicated. We are using it in conjunction with the behavior modification program our trainer laid out for us, and will start to wean her off it as soon as possible. Trust me, it was not my first choice, I had to be talked into it. She's begun chewing her crate and a chipped tooth convinced me we needed some help, in addition to the alone training. :(

sig_border.jpg

We are absolutely NOT looking to use it as a solution to the SA, just to help the behavior modification work more quickly.

:nod It sounds like your pooch is in very very good hands! Medication is just one tool in the tool box to help eradicat SA. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Yes - absolutely - in no way are we planning on it being the solution, and I absolutely don't want her too medicated. We are using it in conjunction with the behavior modification program our trainer laid out for us, and will start to wean her off it as soon as possible. Trust me, it was not my first choice, I had to be talked into it. She's begun chewing her crate and a chipped tooth convinced me we needed some help, in addition to the alone training. :(

You sound like you are on the right track (pun intended). Don't give up if it takes a little longer than you expect. On low dose, your dog will just mellow out and not seem or act like a medicated dog. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds