Checking For Ticks

Guest brit1

I am going to be adopting a second dog and was seeking only white or fawn etc so I stand a better chance of spotting ticks on them. However today saw a nice one with brindle on head (body is mostly white) and wondering if I would still see ticks (particularly deer ticks, when they are big enough to see) on brindle coloring. Given that greys have short hair seems like it wouldn't be too hard to see? My current dog is tan and I often spot them in time on him. They sleep on the bed with me so I am perhaps overly cautious. I don't use chemicals on them so thats not an option. anne

If you have so many ticks that you're well-practiced at spotting them on a dog, you're better off using the chemicals. The small amount of Frontline that it takes to control them is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of pesticides that will need to be used in your home if they start breeding there. And nothing compared to the cost of treating a dog for tick-born diseases.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So Wonder I see you have a brindle, are you able to spot any ticks on that coloring while they are still crawling around (compared to your beige grey? I get an occasional tick on my tan dog and often I will see it before it embeds although admittedly I often only find one by feeling around his head after they have embedded themselves. anne

We have brindles, and when we brought Tito home from the pound, he came with ticks. I found the first one on him by feel, a miracle as his fur is so thick. He must've spread them to the yard, as we found them on the hounds; we removed them manually. I distinctly recalled they had a penchant for getting into the webbing on the feet- you really have to cover that area carefully.

Only one or two managed to attach, and not for very long. We then used chemicals to wipe out any that we had missed. There have been no problems since.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

its not that we get that many, its just that when my dog does get them I can usually spot them because of his light coloring. The dog I am interested in just has brindle on its face/head and small patches on body.

Guest greytsox

I have a all brindle boy and we've pulled a few off last year. I did not notice them until they were embeded. Now when I'm looking I make sure I run my hand over every part of him to see if I feel and "abnormal" bumps. I always check the feet too...

I never think to check the feet :o but that makes sense, will remember to do so. Re coloring, I guess my theory has been if I can see them before the embed its safer for the dog but must admit sometimes have missed them until I felt them even on my light colored dog altho most of the time see them first.

Guest greytsox

Yes, it is safer for the dog if they don't embed. Unfortunatly I haven't caught the little suckers.! Literally. I do use Frontline Plus and if I do find a tick when I remove it I always put it in a shot glass of rubbing alcholol. I keep it just in case he gets sick, if he does get sick they can test the tick for lyme disease. If not down the sink he goes. You don't have to discriminate against Brindles or darker colors, you just have to look better is all. :-) And yes, feet are a good place to check since Ticks don't jump like fleas.

Good Luck!!

My Nevada was red brindle & white-totally brindle on her back, white on her neck & belly, mixed on her head. I only had an issue with ticks one year out of the 15+ that I had her, but I could easily spot them on her brindle areas-even while they were still crawling. :eek

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart