If A Certain Someone Has Diarrhea.....

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

And that would be Frosty....I'm thinking from the Cipro she was on when she cut her foot & needed stitches......how much ground beef/rice should i give her instead of kibble?

She normally eats 4 cups of kibble a day.....do I give her 4 cups of ground beef & rice????

I haven't fed bland diet in a while, but it seems that when I did, I fed about twice as much by volume. It's because the fresh food contains water, and so is bulkier & heavier. Imagine cooked meat & rice dehydrated down to kibble form, it would probably shrink by about one half. So feed I would feed 6-8 cups, less if she seems satisfied & more if she seems hungry.

Guest gr8greys

I agree - definitely more bland than what you were feeding kibble. I just went through this last week but didn't feed more, and my poor girl these last couple of days has had an insatiable hunger. She also started to eat her feces! So yesterday, I upped her food, she's back onto her normal diet, but I'm feeding her a tad more at each feeding for several days so she doesn't feel as starved.

Irene

Oh no, really? :ohno Sorry to hijack, but Sagan has diarrhea and instead of his usual 2 cups of kibble I have given him 1 cup of rice and under 1/2 cup of chicken! :( Gosh. I'm totally incompetent. I thought the chicken would have more protein than the kibble which doesn't just contain meat.

I hope Frosty feels better soon! :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

My opinion is that you start with the same amount and then if need be, increase or decrease as needed. It's likely that you will need to increase by between 1/2 to 1 1/2 cup.

Note, this opinion is based on the fact that my dog is not fed a commercial kibble, instead I fed a meat/rice/vegetable diet and for a dog of about 90 lbs, he gets 2 cups rice, 1/2 to 1 cup meat. 1/2 cup vegetables and he gets this twice a day (except in the morning he gets oatmeal instead of rice, and the oatmeal really seems to help to firm up the poops). There are differing opinions on what percentages of meat vs grain vs vegetables should be fed. I tend to feed about 45 to 50% grain with 30 to 40% meat and about 20% vegetables.

Guest BlackandBrindle

It's better to give smaller meals on the bland diet. It helps get them over the diarrhea faster, ime.

Also, because you aren't feeding a bland diet forever, it's ok to have fewer calories in the short run :)

Hope everyone feels better soon!