Peyton Ate Cooked Pork Bone,

Guest Gemma

Okay, so, DH and I ran out quickly for ice cream, and DH left his plate on the side table in the livingroom. We came back, and everything on it was all gone. This was 2 hours ago, and I thought he'd just left mashed potato on there so we laughed.

I just now realised that there was a slab of cooked pork bone on the damn plate, and Peyton ate it. >_< He's never stolen/scavenged food before but it's totally DH's fault for not being careful. Peyton is fine: no gagging, weird breathing, or anything out of the ordinary. I'm going to check his stool, etc, carefully for blood but should I not wait? Does he need to see the vet now? What should I be looking for?

I am really worried. :(

Deep breath. What kind of bone? Was it rib or from a chop. It likely won't be a problem just keep an eye on him. I've seen greyhounds eat pork rib bones and they enjoyed them with no ill effects.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Deep breath. What kind of bone? Was it rib or from a chop. It likely won't be a problem just keep an eye on him. I've seen greyhounds eat pork rib bones and they enjoyed them with no ill effects.

Yes, that's exactly it; rib from a pork chop. *breathing* Thank you for the fast response! He seems totally fine but I've had it drummed into me for so long that dogs shouldn't eat cooked bone that I got into a bit of a tizzy.

Could feed him a couple slices of bread or dinner roll to help pad things.

99.99999999999% of the time these things pass with no incident at all.

Fingers crossed! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Could feed him a couple slices of bread or dinner roll to help pad things.

99.99999999999% of the time these things pass with no incident at all.

Fingers crossed! :)

Take a deep breath and give him a few slices of bread.

Will do! Thank you. :")

Edited by Gemma

Guest LindsaySF

:nod Bread and other squishy stuff. Chances are he will be fine, just keep an eye on him to make sure he is still acting normally.

Silly Peyton! :shakefinger

Guest EnzaFerrari

I second the bread. I swear Enza manages to find every single chicken bone in the area on walks and so far, she's been fine. I think it is her way of getting bread from me....

:nod Bread and other squishy stuff. Chances are he will be fine, just keep an eye on him to make sure he is still acting normally.

Silly Peyton! :shakefinger

He just ate about 1/4 of a large bagel. As he chewed, I noticed that he managed to cut his gum but it's nothing major. I am keeping a close eye on him. Clearly, it's my fault for not letting him eat all day long as he desires. ;")

He'll probably be ok, but keep an eye on him just in case.

Naughty Peyton! :rolleyes:

I will do, thanks. :") Yes, Peyton, do you hear that? You might look sweet and innocent, but you were naughty to eat that delicious pork bone that we left out right where you could reach it. . . all tantalising and nommy. . .

I second the bread. I swear Enza manages to find every single chicken bone in the area on walks and so far, she's been fine. I think it is her way of getting bread from me....

LOL! She's found a system that works and she's sticking to it. ;") He's had some bagel and he seems fine. He's just sleeping and looks kind of smug to me.

How's he doing?

He is absolutely fine, thanks. :) No problems last night or all of today. Although, he did love getting bagel for an after dinner snack and with his usual breakfast!

I'm glad to hear.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest longdogs

Millions of dogs have scavenged bones and done fine. Of course we worry about the cases where it is not fine. All you can do is wait and see. Unless you are unlucky there will be no ill effects.