Which Vaccines Can Greyhounds Handle?

Guest chestersmom

Guest chestersmom

I adopted a greyhound almost 6 months ago and I received a card in the mail from the vet stating that it was time for Chester's annual vaccines. The only vaccine that I am truely unsure about is the heartworm/lyme/ehrlichia vaccine. Someone told me that it wasn't a good idea for greyhounds to have the heartworm/lyme/ehrlichia vaccine because their bodies are very sensitive to this vaccine. He takes Interceptor once a month. I just want to make sure it's okay for Chester to have this. Let me know what you all have experienced. Thanks in advance! :unsure

Guest phoebesue

I imagine that the reminder is refering the the Idexx HW/Lyme/Ehrlichia snap test, not vaccine. There is a vaccine for Lyme but it is not very common, I don't believe there is a vaccine for Ehrlichia.

All of the others are the typical yearly vaccs. :)

Edited by phoebesue

The heartworm/lyme/ehrlichiosis/anaplasma is not a vaccination, it's a test for acute infection, AKA "IDEXX snap-4).

As far as vaccination guidelines, it's a long document, but if you scan through it, you'll find the current recommendations: http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/Vac...es06Revised.pdf

And on the Dogaware.com website, more readable links: dogaware

Basically, most dogs do NOT need annual vaccinations, unless your state requires (by law) annual rabies. Most states nowadays accept the 3-year rabies.

And most vets who stay current with veterinary literature do not recommend vaccinations such as distemper more often than every 3 years, and indeed it's dubious if dogs need these vaccinations at all after finishing their primary series. But I wouldn't consider vaccinating more than *at least* every 3 years (the evidence in the Vaccine Guidelines above points toward 7-year intervals being adequate). Some of my dogs will not receive vaccinations at all due to health issues or age.

I would not even consider Lyme vaccination -- many potential repercussions, including inducing clinical Lyme Disease symptoms (polyarthritis) without evidence of actual infection. It's much wiser to take a proactive approach to prevention with tick repellants, careful examination for and removal of ticks, and being aware of the signs of Lyme disease, so if your dog is infected, he can be treated quickly.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Greytluv

I don't vaccinate my dogs. I just do titers once a year.

Three of them get rabies. Piglet doesn't get rabies because of her immune system.

I have never vaccinated any of my dogs. (non-Greyhounds)

vacinations for dogs as well as children are a hot topic these days. the american animal hospitial assoc. (AAHA)has published revised guidelines(mentioned in a response above) is most informative. i used it when i was perplexed about what to do with my dogs. it's one of those things you need to feel comfortable speaking with your vet about and finding out their reasons for feeling boosters are necessary. good luck....