What's Going On With Kayla?

Guest Migreys

I'm sorry that you and Kayla are having such a tough time .....

I guess I'm wondering if when they did the dental and they"tubed" her, if they somehow damaged the esophagus. If that is the case, I'm wondering if it can heal over a few days if she gets just water and IVs instead of trying to feed her solid food. Or as Batmom suggested, puree everything with water and use a syringe and squeeze small amounts into her mouth at a time.

Just checking in on you and your pupper today, and sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF
It may also help if you can get your pup to stand with forepaws on a chair so the passageway is more vertical.

I was going to suggest this too. It might help her to swallow.

I guess I'm wondering if when they did the dental and they"tubed" her, if they somehow damaged the esophagus. If that is the case, I'm wondering if it can heal over a few days if she gets just water and IVs instead of trying to feed her solid food. Or as Batmom suggested, puree everything with water and use a syringe and squeeze small amounts into her mouth at a time.

Agreed with this advice. Hopefully it works! :grouphug

It might be a tumor that isn't visible on x-ray. :( Some tumors can only be seen in an ultrasound.

Another thing to look for is mega-esophagus. The symptoms are difficulty swallowing and regurgitation. I don't know if that would show up on an x-ray or a barium test.

~Lindsay~

Guest Migreys

Thank-you so much everyone. You have all been such a help to me, to keep me going, keep fighting, Kayla and I really appreciate it.

The office called to today to check on her and I just started crying because nothing was working for her today. They told me to bring her in at 6:30 and I could see my fav vet. Sometimes you just click with one over another. I hadn't been able to see him before today because his days off are the days Kayla had her emergencies.

I had videotaped her drinking and regurgitating. He was very glad I did that because it helped him to see and hear exactly what she was doing. He had the tech walk her around, looked at her, asked me a ton of questions, etc.

He really thinks that she has Myasthenia gravis. They sent out a sample and we will know for sure on Monday. In the meantime he gave me some really thorough handouts to read, gave me suggestions on feeding and drinking, explained the disease to me, etc. He said if it's not this then it could be a sphincter in her esophagus which would be much worse and not much hope.

Her esophagus dropped and that goes along with Mega-esophagus.

It's not hopeless but it will be hard he said.

Getting her vertical for meals and water, like was suggested here (thank-you!), is key to getting food and water to her tummy.

I started the day feeling that I was going to have an end of life decision, crying all the time and am ending the day knowing this will be a challenge (pneumonia can set in fairly easily) but there's a glimmer of hope. And I truly grateful for all of you. :)

Just checking in on Kayla. I'm glad you were able to see your favorite vet and that you had some video for him to see what has been happening. Sending prayers for your baby.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.