Forgot To Get A Urine Sample This Am

I know everyone says to get the first pee of the day. I was half asleep when I walked the pups this AM, and remembered just after Grace peed that I should have gotten a sample. <_<

She is going in today for her annual wellness exam and to discuss new/different meds for her incontinence. I usually do an annual urinalysis and fecal, in addition to her exam. Is it okay to take the sample from this afternoon? I went to be late last night so she we only slept 5 hours, the time that she will be napping today will be longer. Is it due to length of time....and if so would the afternoon suffice? She'll be home for about 7 hours today before her exam.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I would just ask the vet, but usually, they want the first catch. Maybe bring her in and then just get a sample tomorrow morning and bring it in.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GreytMuse

If I remember correctly, the vet can get a sterile urine sample using a needle directly inserted into the bladder. You might call the vet and ask if this is an option. I'm not sure if this works if they're looking for a concentration value...? (When I heard of this method, it sounded pretty heinous to me, but apparently it's quite common and not that big of a deal.)

The urinalysis usually consists of a test called "specific gravity". This test looks at how well the urine gets concentrated after sleeping. This test should only be done on "first catch" urine sample of the day otherwise the results will be misleading.

Get a sample if you can. If specific gravity is funky, you can always take another "first of the day" sample in tomorrow or the next day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

They won't be able to tell if the specific gravity is funky... I used to work in a hospital lab and this one test that I did occasionally. If you take an afternoon specimen, tell the vet -- lab wise, you'll probably get charged for the specific gravity even though they won't use it. If you bring another specimen in, you'll likely get charged again.

They won't be able to tell if the specific gravity is funky... I used to work in a hospital lab and this one test that I did occasionally. If you take an afternoon specimen, tell the vet -- lab wise, you'll probably get charged for the specific gravity even though they won't use it. If you bring another specimen in, you'll likely get charged again.

Question then....she is probably actually sleeping longer today while at home (7 hrs) than she did last night (5 hours). What difference would that make in "just woke up in the morning" vs. "just woke up from a long nap". Just curious.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

It might not matter at all, Lauren.

Specific gravity is a measure of whether the kidneys *can* concentrate urine. If your afternoon sample is adequately concentrated, you're done; no further sample required. If your afternoon sample is *not* adequately concentrated, then you would want to take in a first-of-the-morning sample after a night where dog hasn't had free access to water.

Most dogs will have adequate specific gravity at any time of day. Occasionally you get a dog who likes to "tank up" before an outing, who drinks a lot of water after a meal, etc.; and then you can get overly diluted samples. When that happens, you just follow up with the first-of-the-morning, no water overnight sample.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I should have been more specific ... when a first morning specimen is requested, the assumptions are that it is approximately 8 or so hours since the last voiding of urine and eating/drinking. So if someone goes to sleep at 10pm and voids at that time and then sleeps to 6am or so (without getting up to void or eat or drink), then that sample would be OK to label as "first morning". The 8 hours is approximate ...

If it is a first morning specimen, the specific gravity is checked for its value and specifically, it is important that it does not have a "1.010" result. This is a value that occurs (on a first morning specimen) when there are significant renal issues and the kidney is unable to concentrate significantly. On the other hand, the "1.010" value could be a normal value if it was on a "random urine".

My dogs sleep all night (7 hours or so) and do not drink water or go out (at least not usually) during the night. On the other hand, during the day my dogs may nap, but they usually get up every few hours to go out and more importantly, they are able to drink water. In my dog's case, a urine taken during the day would not be the same as a "first-morning" specimen.

The first morning specimen because it is more concentrated, is also better for checks on protein, sugar, bacteria, white cells, and so on.

If you are going to be paying for a test, it's best to get all the benefit that you can from it. Sometimes people try and they just can't get a "first-morning" specimen and then you make do, just make sure the vet knows. Also, if you do get a "first-morning" specimen, it's important to tell the vet that it is a "first-morning" specimen so they can mark it as such in the records.

If you are going to be paying for a test, it's best to get all the benefit that you can from it. Sometimes people try and they just can't get a "first-morning" specimen and then you make do, just make sure the vet knows. Also, if you do get a "first-morning" specimen, it's important to tell the vet that it is a "first-morning" specimen so they can mark it as such in the records.

All of what you said was very helpful! Thanks. More that I probably ever needed to know about urine! :lol Anyhow, I'll take a "morning sample" in to them on my way to work tomorrow.