Brushing Teeth

I have a toothbrush that slips over my finger and two tubes of toothpaste I bought from the vet (salmon and poultry). Now what?

Lily will let me put my hands on her mouth but I don't want to ruin the experience by pushing too far on her first brushing. Any advice on how to brush her teeth?

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Focus on the outsides of the teeth, don't push it too far the first few times, and reward her afterwards--it doesn't have to be with food, maybe a game with a toy she likes, or a snuggle on the couch.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Bethf03

I use an electric toothbrush, and pretty much let it do the job, I try not to rub, just move the toothbrush around while it vibrates and does its job. Both my dogs came to realize even tho they didnt like it, It was going to happen anyway so they stand there and let me do my thing, and when I'm done they get a treat. They part they really enjoy.

I have heard some folks say to use there fnger, I just dont like putting my fingers in there mouth, & I dont know how they would like that either.

good luck :colgate

For the regular maintenance (nails and teeth), we start with Minerva. I hold the nail clippers up, and she lies down and rolls over. It's pretty much the only command she knows. Then we do nails and teeth.

With teeth, we let them sniff the cap of the toothpaste; the flavor must be something else. I sit down with a coffee mug with water and a child's toothbrush, "Soft" or "Extra Soft" or whatever it's called. Dip the brush in the water, smear on some paste, and I usually start with the rear teeth. I stick my finger in there, pulling the cheek away, and just go to town, getting whatever I can get done as they try to lick off the paste. I dunk-wash the brush as needed and apply more if required, and move on to the next dog.

Once everything is done, all the dogs get their favorite treat- a fish oil capsule (Kirkland's brand). While some aren't necessarily eager, they all submit. I feel bad for those folks that have dogs that balk and howl at the prospect of a nail clipping. We've been fortunate not to have any of those yet.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Let her taste the toothpaste first, then while she's licking, brush just a bit. Work your way up to be able to brush all of her teeth. You need not brush the insides of the teeth, just the outsides. :)

The key is to use LOTS of toothpaste.

I use a child's toothbrush on my guys with Petrodex Poultry flavoured toothpaste.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EnzaFerrari

I have no idea - every time I try to brush Enza's she goes nuts trying to lick the toothpaste off. I can final clean her ears and do her nails with no drama so teeth are next. In fact, the photo on my facebook page is of her when I tried to brush her teeth - tongue and all.

In the mean time, I use the CET chews which are suppose to be good.

Edited by EnzaFerrari

Guest MnMDogs

I use a regular toothbrush on Mork and mint flavored paste - he didn't like the "food" flavors. He lets me hold his nose, pull up his lips and brush away. He really likes the taste.

I use a child's soft toothbrush, which I like better than either the finger brush or the regular toothbrush that came with the set I bought (ridged for better grip, too, which is important when your fingers are coated with dog saliva!). Beth goes nuts for Petrodex Poultry flavor, and doesn't seem to mind the brushing -- the problem is just that her jaws keep moving with all the lip-licking! But I hold her jaws as best I can and just try to get the brush/paste in there. I stick a finger between her back teeth and lip and kind of lift the lip up so I can get the brush back to her molars. It's all kind of awkward but she's never seemed distressed or accidentally bitten me. It's more like "Oh yummy, toothpaste time!" Sometimes I let her lick a dab of paste off my finger at the end as a reward. Admittedly, Beth is pretty "bombproof" so YMMV.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greytkidsmom

Using a baby toothbrush (4 for $1 at dollar tree) I stand at the dog's right side, hold his muzzle with my left hand, and brush the left side of his mouth with my right hand. Then I switch to stand at the left side, keep holding the muzzle with my left hand, and brush the right side of his mouth with my right hand. When I started, I just let him lick and gradually worked my way to being able to really get in there and brush. We use CET poultry flavor paste.

Guest sho6md

This was a good question. Although, I didn't post it, I learned a lot. I am going to get my lst foster this month and have never brushed a dog's teeth. I was given a toothbrush and toothpaste so I also was wondering how to brush. :wubsite

You may need to experiment with different types of toothbrushes--dog tootbrushes, finger ones (the only one that works with Patrick), electric ones if the dog will tolerate it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.