Patton's Limping

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Sweet Patton is limping, again.

Patton has myositis in his rear right leg. I have talked about it before here, and we have dealt with it for the 4 years we have had him. He has also had corns on the foot of his bad leg, which we've had to remove a toe. So, he has always had a limp, and we have always treated with a little Ascriptin, per the vet.

We started our cold snap in Phoenix in the beginning of Dec, and we have had several days of rain. I noticed one night Patton stopped using his bad leg. He started hoping on it. He was ok, otherwise, just hoping. We saw the vet, she checked him out, and feels it could be the onset of arthritis, aggravated by the cold, damp weather. She did not notice any bony changes when she felt him over, so she was not too concerned. We did not do xrays, she wanted to try 2 weeks of Rymadil. He still limps and hops while on the Rymadil.

He does not show any other symptoms - no changes in eating and drinking, he still plays, and we have be trying to keep his activity limited. Otherwise he is the same old Patton, he just limps and hops on that leg. He has not shown any agression, which was always a sign in the past when he had pain in that leg.

I think we are going to go back to the vet for a full set of xrays?

If its arthritis, how do I help him?

(We also have begun glucosamine, too.)

Thanks.

He is my sweet Patton- cooling down this spring, in the lake. :wub:

PattonInWater1.jpg

Edited by Shermanator

Guest KennelMom

If he's still limping on the Rimadyl, back to the vet for xrays. If those come back with nothing, maybe try a different pain reliever. Rimadyl has always provided worked very well relieving pain in our athritic pups, but every dog is different.

Guest sinaminsmom

Was going to say exactly what KennelMom said - we were just at the vets yesterday for limping. Came home with Rymadil and back in five days for a full set of xrays if no improvement. Had an ancient cocker spaniel who took a lot of Rymadil - required 6 month blood tests, but quality of life was good. Good luck, hope your guy is feeling better today.

PS I love the picture! Total peace.

Does he still have corns on the foot? Are those being hulled regularly?

X-rays.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Shermanator

Thanks,

No corns. I throughly checked, and the toe that was affected from the corns was amputated.

Sigh, x-rays are next. Poor boy.

What is Fresh Factor?

Sometimes, if Rimadyl doesn't help, one of the other NSAID's will. Rimadly did not help my first girl but Metacam was magic for her.And maybe the vet can add Tramadol which works well with the NSAID's. Hopefully you can get the pain under control. He's so handsome!!! Also, maybe consider getting some Traumeel Gel and massaging with it. It's helped my pups a lot and it's available at most health food stores.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest jerrybird

He is definately a handsome fellow! and I hope that he's feeling better tonight. Maybe they can adjust his meds to something that will help him more?