Willie Amputation Picture

Guest greydogluvr

Should be, but best read the package insert. Don't think there's any point in giving it as a precaution, just if he seems gassy and uncomfortable again. Don't know about pills, either :( , what I have in my little kit is liquid.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greydogluvr

Willie had a great night. He had his meds at 6 and 10 pm. I gave him small meals throughout the day, which seemed to help. He has a recheck tomorrow and hopefully his drain cam be removed. It has not had any serum in it since day 1. Then possibly his stitched out on Friday. :yay

I have a call in to the oncologist so we can coordinate the chemo :mellow: with Dr. Couto. He is doing so well and I hope this will not set him back too much.

That is great news :yay:yay You've said he was a strong boy!!! When you the oncologist, you might want to ask her about something to help with Willie's tummy for when the chemo starts. Many continued prayers

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If Willie is on the pain patch, please be careful of any other medicines that you give him that are not approved by the vet.

It sounds and looks like he's doing great so make sure that you take care of yourself so that you'll be ready when the chemo starts.

Guest greydogluvr
If Willie is on the pain patch, please be careful of any other medicines that you give him that are not approved by the vet.

It sounds and looks like he's doing great so make sure that you take care of yourself so that you'll be ready when the chemo starts.

Yes, he has a fentanl (sp) patch but I was supposed to take it off yesterday. I think I am going to leave it on. I do not want to disrupt the order of things. I do not think it will hurt him any :dunno but if so I will have the vet do it at his check up tomorrow.

Edited by greydogluvr

It's a good idea to let the vet take the patch off. It was just too painful for my boy when I tried to peel it off so I let the vet do it.

You may also want to check with the vet on whether you should be worried about the "gassy tummy" or whether it is normal after major surgery with anesthesia. For example, with people coming from major surgery with anesthesia they might be on IVs for a day or two and one of the signs that their system is functioning and ready for food again is that they start to get "gas". Not sure whether it is the same with dogs .....

Guest greydogluvr
That is great news yay.gifyay.gif You've said he was a strong boy!!! When you the oncologist, you might want to ask her about something to help with Willie's tummy for when the chemo starts. Many continued prayers

Thanks. I will ask her. He finished his Pepcid last night so we have nothing (prescribed) for his tummy tonight. I am so nervous about the chemo. Even though I went through it once before, my sweet Misha did not have the opportunity to finish due to metastasis and bloat. I have not had the best experience with osteo treatment. Any questions I can ask or advise for making him more comfortable are great!!!!

One other note, if your dog is due for vaccines soon you want to discuss that with the vet. When my boy was going though the chemo (and for months later) the vet and I decided not to vaccinate for rabies.

Thanks so much for this info too!!! and the "gassy" question will be added to my ongoing list.

I always feel the vet knows best what to prescribe, and your oncologist is GOOD. I know with the anti-cancer drug Misty is on which you're familiar with, the Pepsid wasn't cutting it so I asked the vet to give me Cerenia. I know that quite a few here have had good success with it as well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr
I always feel the vet knows best what to prescribe, and your oncologist is GOOD. I know with the anti-cancer drug Misty is on which you're familiar with, the Pepsid wasn't cutting it so I asked the vet to give me Cerenia. I know that quite a few here have had good success with it as well.

Thanks. I will ask her about Cerenia. I also read something about a tooth/mouth rinse you use but I can not seem to find the thread. Willie has really bad breath but I do not want to put him under again for a cleaning just yet. He is typicall in for a cleaning about two times a year. Can you tell me the name of the rinse again? Hugs to Wayne!!!!

And also, Willie got his drain removed and his pressure wrap removed. It is amazing that he has little bruising and almost no fluid retention. He is healing amazingly (or maybe my last experience was just an exceptionally bad one). I just love the surgeon. Even though it is a huge hospital he comes out to get the pets himself and treats them with such kindness. I am so glad we went thorugh with the treatment. Thanks again for all the well wishes... I know they have helped so much. GT is a magical place with so many amazing people. Your support is tremendous.

Guest Tenderhearts

Wow, I am just reading through this thread, and that video of him at 4 days is incredible! Prayers going out for continued healing for Willie! :hope :hope :hope

Willie looks fantastic for 4 days post amp! Sending lots of healing thoughts to that beautiful boy.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest greydogluvr

Day 9 Post Amputation and Willie continues to do well. He is on 50 MG Tramadol 2x per day and Rimadyl 2x per day. His incision is healing very well. He is scheduled to get his stitches removed next Thursday. He is almost back to his typical routine. The best is that he has chosen to return to our bedroom to sleep. So... I am back in the bed. He has been amazing so far. Besides the gassy night, he has slept through most of the nights, is eating like a horse and wags his tail a lot.

At his drain removal he weighed 77 lbs. down from 80 prior to the amputation. I am trying to put some weight on him prior to the chemo.

Here is a picture of him and his incision from last night. The red squre is from the pain patch. I let the surgeon remove it. It was quite sticky. It looks better today. Thanks again for all the well wishes.

postamp3002.jpg

He looks GREAT! Sending scritchies and hugs and prayers for a very bright future for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greydogluvr

The final biopsy results are in and indeed it is osteo. He will start chemo (and will be participating in Dr. Couto's study at OSU) on Thursday, January 15, 2008 following the removal of his stitches. He will be sent home with Reglain (sp) for nausea. Thank you for continued prayers and healing thoughts for my wonderful boy and for a continued uneventful treatment process.

I cry each time I think of any hound going through this process and say prayers for each of them everyday. I seem to hear of more and more everyday. Again, Thank you for all of the support, advice and well wishes.

Edited by greydogluvr