Good Thoughts For Casey, Please?

Easy does it, Casey. Still praying and sending healing light. Update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Toni... she's still ensconced on her bed. At this point, she's not been outside since 7am. I did get smart at one point, and put a dish of water over by her bed, so she's got it if she wants it.

I just hate having her not feel well. It's been a long time since I've felt this helpless.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Mary--- being the lazy person I am--- what were her x-rays of?

no x-rays yet, because Doc couldn't find any reason to do x-rays on Friday, and I had fed her on Sat before it all started acting up. (they need to put her under for the x-rays). Doc couldn't find anything on Sat, either. She's scheduled for a dental on Tues, and we plan to do x-rays then. They'll be of her hips/spine, to see if there's a reason for the yelping.

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

update #3 (?)

About 530, Casey decided she needed to potty. Up she stood (yelp), and walked out to the back porch with no problems, navigated the 2 steps to the yard with no problems, trotted to the fence-line and squatted to pee with no problems. Walked back in, up the 2 steps, back to her bed again -- no yelps. I think she's walking weird, a little, and I think she's favoring that back left leg when she's standing (she took time out to lean on me and let me love on her, a little, before heading back into her bed).

I gave her another aspirin, and some burpdog biccies to celebrate the successful venture. She ate both of them with no fuss at all.

Sending more prayers. Please update us as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

430 am... after a quiet night, Casey yelped her way up to go outside this a.m. No problem heading outside, trotting across the yard to do her business (couldn't watch her in the dark, but assume no problem squatting).

Pippin & I stood at the doorway, waiting for her return (I won't let him out with her, when she's not 100%). She came back, I opened the door, and she stumbled clumsily up the 2 steps, yelping as her legs gave out for a couple seconds. I couldn't help her because I was holding on to Pip.

She recovered herself, got inside, back to the livingroom, and is standing by her bed, apparently unwilling to risk the pain of lying down again.

Doc opens at 8 - we'll be there

Guest goofydog

Oh man. Casey sweetie, you are in my thoughts this AM. So sorry you are hurting but mommy will take you to the good doctor who will make you feel better.

So Casey went to get up so I could take her to the vet, and did the "OMG it hurts!" dance again, screaming all the while (and dumping poop in my livingroom). Then she ran to the back door and trotted outside like nothing had happened.

I left her out there while I finished getting the car ready for her, and when I went up to the gate to get her (we load from the back yard), she ran across the yard to the gate to see me. Climbed into the car with no hassle (I had her go in a side door, not jump in the back), and we headed to town.

It's 23.8 miles to the vet. As long as Casey was lying down, she was fine. But like all dogs, she likes to rearrange herself when riding in the car, so I got treated to blood-curdling screams twice, as she stood up. Told the vet techs THEY could get her out of the car - I couldn't handle another bout of screaming. And I stood in the office and wept as my little girl cried her way out of the car. Once she did her "OMG I'm dying" dance, she ran up the steps to the clinic like nothing had ever happened. She can sit with no problems, as well.

They called me a few minutes ago... they won't have time to do xrays today, but they've given her a powerful pain med (she didn't tell me what kind), and they fed her for me, and they'll keep her overnight. Dr. Brown will check her out in the a.m. and they'll do x-rays and dental tomorrow.

It's got to be the most helpless feeling in the world...knowing something is wrong, and not being able to help her. But Doc can help her.

Now, if someone could just give me an alternative idea as to what could be causing all this, I'd be ever so grateful.

Big hugs and prayers headed your way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We are thinking of you. Is it possible she pulled something in her hip that tightens up when she has been down in one position for awhile? I hope it is nothing more than that.

Guest goofydog

Ah Mary, I know you must be feeling helpless at the moment. You have done the right thing in getting her to the vet. Your GT family is praying and sending lots of white light out for you and Casey. :hope:grouphug

OK, it was tramadol that they gave her earlier today. I called on my way home from work and checked on her. They're getting the same experience I did - sometimes it's just a yelp when she gets up, other times the fullblown "OMG I'M DYING" dance. The vet tech agrees that it tears your heart out when she's screaming.

Doc emailed me this afternoon - she had called up there this a.m. to check on Casey (it's her day off - another reason I love my vet)

Here's what Doc said:

Based on the history, I'll be concentrating the radiographs on the left rear leg and hip joint as well as the spine. At the moment, I would say the rule-out list should include bone infection, bone tumor, spinal tumor, disc disease of any sort. If I can't find the problem with plain rads, then we'll make a plan for referral for diagnostics outside the realm of my equipment. I know that osteosarcoma is every greyhound owner's worst fear, mine as well. But we should wait and see what the films say first. As you well know, sometimes we have to wait long enough for a problem to progress a little bit before we can find the source. If our pets could talk to us, we would have a leg up, but they can't. Her pain has progressed since last Friday, and every sign she gives us helps to isolate the source.

I know it's useless to say, but try not to worry. She's on pain meds and is quiet. Tomorrow I'll do the best I can to give you some answers.

Doc gets in at 9, and has 2 surgeries and 3 dentals this a.m. Casey is one of the dentals. The x-ray developer takes 45 minutes to warm up, and Casey has to be out for the x-rays.

The tech tried to prepare me for not hearing anything before this afternoon. And I'm unavailable for big chunks of the day, starting at 1045. So I have no idea when I'll hear anything.

Last night, Pippin squeezed his gorilla toy, that screams like a monkey - I jumped and looked around for Casey. Guess I'm still a little gun-shy from it all.

Edited by Pippin

Doc called me about 10am. She checked out Casey first thing :) NO TUMOR.

BUT.... huge bone spurs on her lumbar vertebrae. Doc says it's been going on for a long time, and we just never knew about it. So she's on rimadyl/tramadol 2x/day for pain, and we have an appt with an orthopedic surgeon on Thurs at 1110, to see if there's a surgical option. She calls it "lumbar sacral instability."

She said that even with the rimadyl/tramadol, she can't guarantee there won't be blood-curdling shrieks of pain. I work from home, facilitating training over conference calls, so Casey is staying with Doc until I take her to the orthopod. My boss is trying to shift my schedule and free me up on Thurs for the appt. If he can't, I've got a friend who can take her in for me. But I'd rather go myself. I told my boss that for me, it's a family emergency, even if it's 4-legged family instead of 2-legged family. He understands.