Excessive Thirst And Urination

Last week I was at my vacation home and Sammie peed in the family room every day. At first I thought it was just because of the new surroundings and the previous occupants had dogs so I thought she was marking.

However, we returned home and she left two large puddles yesterday. Also she seems to be drinking an excessive amount. With all the dogs in the house it is difficult to tell who is emptying the water bowl.

I am going to get a urine sample today (hopefully) and have them check for a UTI. I am also concerned about diabetes or kidney failure. I don't know for sure how old she is but figure she is at least 11 years.

Will diabetes and kidney problems be discernable with a urine test? I figure if we don't get any answers from that the next step is a blood draw. She is a handful and must be muzzled for vet visits so I try to avoid them except for the truly necessary.

Diabetes will show with a UA. Just a suggestion, you may want to ask the vet to also grow a culture. Too many times a UA comes back with no bacteria but once they grow a culture, there it is. It'll take an extra day or two but well worth it. I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greyscot

Diabetes will show in a urine test. At Sammie's age I would be tempted to a 'senior' blood rest. This will pick up problems with kidneys, liver etc. Good luck with the vet visit.

Diabetes will show in a urine test. At Sammie's age I would be tempted to a 'senior' blood rest. This will pick up problems with kidneys, liver etc. Good luck with the vet visit.

I agree! Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Are there any other symptoms? Cassie drank loads and peed in her sleep as a result. This turned out to be Cushing's but there are other symptoms which would also indicate.

If it were Cushings, my guess is her appetite would be ravenous

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Unfortunately Sammie is always ravenous. It would be impossible to tell if her appetite had increased. She was a stray for a while and never got over the idea that every meal could be her last.

No other symptoms that I can see other than she has started to snore quite loudly when she is sleeping.

Unfortunately Sammie is always ravenous. It would be impossible to tell if her appetite had increased. She was a stray for a while and never got over the idea that every meal could be her last.

No other symptoms that I can see other than she has started to snore quite loudly when she is sleeping.

We will keep your little girl in our prayers. Please let us know what you find out

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest kelli123

My baby girl has same symptoms. shes 14yrs the doctor put her on proin. Its a estrogen base pill, and has other stuff in it. This has really helped. Ask your vet about the proin. Prayers to you and your baby.