Just Wondering...

Guest Piila

To all you Canuk grey parents out there, I'm attempting to get an idea of how much, roughly, the entire amputation+ chemo experience costs. Of course, living in a big city, i expect it to be more than a smaller town, but I'd like to get an idea.

thanks,

I would imagine, it is close to what it is in US, but I could be wrong.

ETA- I just realized that that answer was NO help at all!!!

We paid about 3500 that was with a 20% discount we get for greyhound rescue.

I pay about 300.00 for each chemo. The meds themselves are about $75.00- it's everything else.

OSU will send you the chemo if your vet gets in touch with them. That helps with the cost

I think Ember's amp was similar but I don't know about the chemo. he may or may not chime in.

We are not getting our chemo from OSU

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Bumping for one of the Canada posters who can answer your question. For some reason I don't think the OSU program applies to Canada, but hope I'm wrong. I know there are people here who can help

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

My estimate for amputaion if we come to this is 4,500 US dollars. I do not have the cost for the chemo, but as said before, Dr. Couto can help with the cost of the chemo. Good Luck

I'm of no help really.. but I do know that OSU can't get medication to Canada because of import laws.

I do believe they are working on this, but as it stands, Canadians are only eligible for Chemo through OSU if you are willing to go there for all treatment.

Honestly, if that is the route you want to go, you may want to have upwards to $5000 to use towards the surgery, medication, and aftercare.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

How about giving Alta Vista Animal hospital a call? Explain your situation and see whether they can at least give you a ballpark figure. I know they have a very good cardiologist (Eric DeMadron) who helped our angel Josey with her heart condition and definitely gave her 2 more good years. Just a thought as they are very helpful - you may already deal with them!

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest ChasesMum

Probably you should be at least making sure your vet gets in touch with the oncoligists we have here in Canada. I would inagine the vet school in Guelph has one, Toronto may have some too, and I know for sure the CARE centre in Calgary has one as that is who we consulted with George - our vet cleared G's xrays twice but the oncologist there could see it starting in his shoulder.

I think we paid around $2000-$2500 for the amputation, meds, xrays, etc initially, then more with followup care and more meds and we got a lot of it at cost from our vet. We opted not to do chemo as the logistics werent gonna work, but yeah I doubt that OSU can get the drugs over the border. HOWEVER its worth asking because the worst they can say is "no" which puts you no further behind, ya know? All told, I'd guess $3500 including his, euth and cremation. it took me a year to pay it off my visa. BLAH!

Also, make sure your vet transfers care to either the emergency vet in your area, or keeps your dog overnight for a couple nights if they have appropriate care. George came home hours after his surgery and it was awful. He was in so much pain and we were so helpless. We got it all solved the next day and drastically upped his meds but it could have been avoided if they had transfered him for the night...

anyways, please feel free to contact me if you need, I can get some numbers for the CARE centre if you need them.

Karen

Edited by ChasesMum