Bleeding Toenails

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

I just let Soul out into the snow to pee. He ran along the side of the fence then to the back porch. Along the side of the fence, then to the back porch. Finally, he ran back out along the side of the fence and peed. Came in and now he has six toenails that are bloody at the base. What the heck happened?

He does have toenail issues because of his Lupus. They grow really thick, with long quicks. But normally, the problem is losing a nail, or splitting a nail. Nothing like this :(

Just as a side note, there is probably 15" of snow on the ground . . . .

Poor guy, nail issues are a royal pain in the butt, and it probably is the Lupus causing the issue. Maybe try soaking them (if he'll let you) in epsom salt and warm water. If you can't soak, the vet suggested to me to use a syringe and squirt the solution over the nails with a towel under his feet. It won't "fix" the problem but will give some relief

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think Chad's idea is good, and perhaps Soul needs a pair of boots? Even a dog with a perfectly healthy set of feet can end up with snow and ice cuts on the feet. If the boots would stay on, at least there'd be some protection?

Mutt Luks are good!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Navigator's feet will bleed from even the slightest layer of ice on the snow. Someone tell me.....how the heck do you keep the boots on in this 15+" of snow here in NH????

Guest SoulsMom
Navigator's feet will bleed from even the slightest layer of ice on the snow. Someone tell me.....how the heck do you keep the boots on in this 15+" of snow here in NH????

No kidding!!! Plus, Soul freaks out if he has anything on his feet. I guess I just don't understand why they were bleeding at the base (right where the nail meets the fur).

Thanks for the bag balm suggestion! I didn't even think to use that.

ETA: he was not on any ice, just 15" of snow. Even when we had the ice on top of the snow last week his paws were fine, not an abrasion to be found

Edited by SoulsMom

Are you gonna give a call to your vet to ask about it? It's still snowing here in NH. I swear, if the kids have off one more day of school, I'll bury myself in the snow!!

Guest SoulsMom

No, I'm not going to call the vet just yet. Just keep an eye on it. The "cuts" are more like abrasions. Hopefully I can keep them clean and they'll heal just fine. We've had WAY too many vet visits lately.

It FINALLY stopped snowing here. But in MA, all the schools are closed until the first of the year. The ice storm shut everything down until then :blink:

No, I'm not going to call the vet just yet. Just keep an eye on it. The "cuts" are more like abrasions. Hopefully I can keep them clean and they'll heal just fine. We've had WAY too many vet visits lately.

It FINALLY stopped snowing here. But in MA, all the schools are closed until the first of the year. The ice storm shut everything down until then :blink:

I hear you about the vet visits. In a span of 1 year, we spent about $3,000 on my sick collie and $6,500 on Navigator. We just have Navigator now, and things have been quiet (thank goodness). It stopped snowing here as well, and there was a 90min school delay this morning, but thank goodness the kids are OUTTA HERE! Now DH and I have to try to get out and get last minute stocking stuff, Christmas dinner, etc. Have a good day!

How's Soul's feet/nails doing? I'm so happy we had some meltage here in NH yesterday. I can't wait for the snow to disappear on Sunday with the big warm-up.

Guest SoulsMom

You know, the blood went away after I put the bag balm on. I was over at a GTR's house for Xmas and there was a vet in training there as well. I asked him about it and he'd never heard of such a thing :blink: I'm going to chalk it up to his lupus . . . .

Soul is VERY happy the snow is melting. That boy hates the snow :lol

Glad to hear he's doing better.

Now that our gravel driveway has melted, Navigator is not fond of walking on it, which he has to do since the snow piles are on the grass. The nut would rather skate on ice patches than to step on stones. I'm sure it's tough on his feet, as it's about 300' to the street. He must have scraped his foot again tonight on some icey snow, as his towel I wipe his feet with had blood on it. I couldn't find the cut, because he's black (like Soul), and it's hard to see. Hopefully winter will fly by.

Have a happy new year!

Guest rachel2025

Pike hates boots, but we have had some luck here in Chicago using Mushers Secret wax on his paws...seems to protect them from the ice and salt if we put it on every few days.