Sudden Body Odor?

Guest NeedSleep

Guest NeedSleep

Our hound, Emmit is 9 now. He's never smelled beyond some bad breath. For the last month he's reeked!! We bathed him as soon as it started, but a few days later and he's back to Sir Stinko.

Any ideas? Is this just something that comes with age? Could it be something else, like his food? (We haven't changed it, but maybe we should?)

The stink coincides with a sudden fear of baths (of course), so not exactly the best situation.

His breath is no worse that usual and the vet said he didn't need a cleanign at his last check up. (He's only had his teeth cleaned once, before we adopted him)

I'd take him for a vet check, ASAP. If this coincided with a fear of baths, it could be that he's hurting somewhere, like the ear infection or impacted anal glands suggested by the others, but kidney disease can also make them smell terrible, so it might be a good idea to take a urine sample in with you.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler definitely had a "fear smell" that was very strong, and got more common as he got older, poor boy. :(

However, *many* disease processes create odors in the tissues (kidney disease, as Patricia mentioned, cancer, etc), so it is important to take this to a vet.

Good luck!

Guest ChasesMum

Chase sometimes starts to smells from her blankets and bed that she sleeps on...a bath and a wash of the bedding and she is good to go... but if that isnt likely I'd definitley at least call the vet and see what they think.

weird!

Guest greyvettech

I would def take him to the vet. With renal failure, you smell a foul odor.. I kind of describe it as funyons gone bad..... It would be a good idea to run a cbc/chem panel if the smell persists. Hopefully, it is not that and maybe just a simple problem... good luck :goodluck

Guest rachel2025

Is it a smell of fish food coming from his, er, nether regions?

I have read that when dogs get scared, they can sometimes express their anal glands... eeew!

Pike was doing that when we first got him, and had to take him to the vet to get 'em cleared.

Mr Bones's skin staph infection was IDd by a skin scraping, IRCC. It was easy to ID. Got rid of it with antibiotics. Whatever it is, off to the vet, because it could be from a raft of things.

Marcia

Sherri had a faint odor around her behind the past couple of days (along with some excessive licking in that area).

A vet visit yesterday showed one infected anal gland. She is on antibiotics for a week and she should be fine.

If it is anal glands, better to get them looked at before they rupture.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest NeedSleep

Not fishy smell from the behind, just doggy smell on his body.

I bought a new shampoo today and gave him a thorough bath. Wow he smells good. I'm relaly interested to see how long it lasts.

I'm thinking maybe the shampoo we used the last several times just doesn't work. It didn't feel like it was doing much when I used it, so maybe I was just basically getting him wet and not cleaning him for the last 6 months.

I washed everythign he lays on today and wow do things smell better aorund here.

If the smell returns within a month I'll definitely take him to the vet.

Thanks!