Dewclaw Emergency!

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

I gated Henry in a bedroom while I did a workout and took a shower, and when I came out, he got his bandage off by himself, and has 90% amputated the dewclaw himself. I tried to remove it, but he was so scared. Can I let Henry finish taking off the rest of the dewclaw himself? Do I put the bandage back on after it's off? There's not that much blood surprisingly. Will the vet wrap hurt? I will put neosporin and gauze on under vet wrap and be careful not to do it overtight. Is that the best way? My poor baby! I hate that he's hurting!!! :weep

100_1887.jpg

Oh no! Don't have the advice you are looking for. Can you call the vet and ask them?

You've got my thoughts and prayers...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne
Calm down and take a breath, it's not an emergency!! Is the quick exposed?

Yes it is. The meat of the claw is disconnected from the rest of the claw. My husband is not home and I don't do that well on the phone.

Guest greyvettech

Chances are, if you take him to the vet with an evulsed toenail they will pull it off with a pair of hemostats... It is painful- but if you don't pull it off, it will only get stuck on things and cause him pain longer. He should be on anti-biotics too. I would pull it but I would have him muzzled when you do it and have somone help you if you can. If you can't stomach it, then maybe take him to the vet tomorrow and wrap it in the meantime- If you pull it, he will bleed for a little bit-but you can clean the area with betadine solution and put neosporin on it and wrap it. After a little while of it being wrapped, the bleeding will stop.... I hope he feels better

Edited by greyvettech

Yes it is. The meat of the claw is disconnected from the rest of the claw. My husband is not home and I don't do that well on the phone.

Would it be possible for someone on here to call your vet and see what they say? I'm sure there is someone that would be glad to help. If you want that you can PM your phone number and the phone number of the vet and one of us could call for you.

Guest EmilyAnne

Here's another picture. I'm going to call my husband at work and have him contact the vet. My vet is good about opening the office after hours if need be.

100_1888.jpg

Would it be possible for someone on here to call your vet and see what they say? I'm sure there is someone that would be glad to help. If you want that you can PM your phone number and the phone number of the vet and one of us could call for you.

Emily, you know I would be happy to do that for you, any time at all!! I don't think it's necessary but if it makes you feel better I will. Just looked at the second picture, if that nail is hanging, it has to come off!!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband is calling the vet right now. He's going to ask about increasing seizure med for the night too. Stress/pain is a seizure trigger unfortunately.

Guest EmilyAnne

Dh is waiting for vet to call back...

Meanwhile, it has dawned on me, dh has the van. Which means we don't have a vehicle. Dh doesn't get off till 11....

ETA update...

OK, well then. I'm such an overeactor. :rolleyes::lol

Vet says, Henry got it 95% off, let him get the last bit off himself, rather than traumatize him by me yanking it off.

After it's off, apply Neosporin, gauze, and gently wrap.

Meanwhile, he gets an extra grain of Phenobarbital tonight to be safe.

Edited by EmilyAnne

I just called Jennifer who had Scooter. I know he had a terrible time with his dew claw(s). I'm hoping she will log on and let you know some things she did for Scooter when he did it to his.

Safer to get Henry on antibiotics but you can do that in the morning. If you don't have the nerve to get that nail off and I know it's not fun, at least wrap it so it doesn't catch on anything and pull.

And all is right with the world!! Good boy Henry

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne
and you get a stiff drink?

Oh yes! I'm breaking out the alcohol!!!! After I've bandaged him. ;) I think Henry would prefer not to have a drunk attempting to bandage him. :lol

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

It's still not off. It's really barely hanging on. It can bend all the way back, and turn 180 degrees. I don't think we want to leave this on him all night long. I need to get this bandaged so it doesn't get infected. I'm going to fashion some sort of muzzle and see if I can get it off. Trying to work up the courage...

Wouldn't give flagyl for that. Most likely cephalexin (keflex) or similar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

I finally got it off!!!! I made a muzzle with vet wrap, and good thing cause he was growling at me. I got a hold of it, and it practically came off on it's own! :yay

Off to go apply some First Aid...

And yes, tomorrow I will request prescription from vet for antibiotics.

Guest HoustonGreys
I finally got it off!!!! I made a muzzle with vet wrap, and good thing cause he was growling at me. I got a hold of it, and it practically came off on it's own! :yay

Off to go apply some First Aid...

And yes, tomorrow I will request prescription from vet for antibiotics.

Oh my gosh, I am SO impressed! I would be out cold on the floor! :blush YOU GO GIRL! :clap