Polli Dropped Off At Vet For 4th Chemo

RobinM

Guest EmbersDad
what a little piglet u are polli :lol good girl!!!! :confetti :confetti

REALLY!!!! She is up to 55 pounds. She was 61 pre amp! OMG- That's a whole lotta cookies going on there!!!! :P

how much more weight are you going to let her gain? does she still look skinny to u? ember looks skinny to me at 53.8 lbs, yet other people tell me she is fine, so im fighting with myself on her weight. my vet said to get her to 55 lbs, and i trust him.

Guest greydogluvr
Oh Sweet Polli. You are almost done. Hang in there sweetie. You are both in my prayers.

BTW, Clementine takes pred everyday. .5 mg. It has given her additional energy and she eats a lot. These may be 2 good side effects for Polli.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought this response needed to be made to the thread so folks would have the info.

Long-term use of pred should be on an every-other-day schedule. Otherwise it can result in iatrogenic (medically-induced) Cushings, causing problems with the pituitary gland. I think using pred every day was what led to my Cosmo's demise. She had degenerative myelopathy on top of lymphoma, and I found that she was able to walk better with pred every day. The vet told me I shouldn't dose that way, but I talked him into letting me (he recognized, while I didn't that this was palliative treatment). I would recommend that you speak to your vet about using pred on a daily basis. In the short term I understand it can be okay, but for long-term use, I wouldn't use it every day.

Ok thanks.

She is not on it as of yet. IF there is no improvment with total rest, just out for potty and 75mg of deramaxx until Saturday- then we will have to look at other options for her comfort.

Sorry I did not clarify. Clementine is on pred daily for her Addision's. Please do not think that I was suggesting that daily use is okay. I wish she could do well with less without having a crisis. I was just responding to the side effects I have seen even with daily use. Continued hugs for Polli

REALLY!!!! She is up to 55 pounds. She was 61 pre amp! OMG- That's a whole lotta cookies going on there!!!! :P

how much more weight are you going to let her gain? does she still look skinny to u? ember looks skinny to me at 53.8 lbs, yet other people tell me she is fine, so im fighting with myself on her weight. my vet said to get her to 55 lbs, and i trust him.

I was actually a little concerned about the 2 pounds but vet said that was perfectly fine. It's very good when a cancer patient gains vs. loses. She had not lost weight to look skinny. The only time she was skinny was when I got her off the farm. She was 51 pounds and her racing weight was 58. That's skinny!

I never say no to Polli when it comes to eating because from one day to the next I am so afraid that she may not eat but I do have to keep her at 55 although the vet said not to worry about it!

Polli is very petite. So, in all actuallity, I don't want her to gain any more weight. She looks solid- no ribs unless

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad

I was actually a little concerned about the 2 pounds but vet said that was perfectly fine. It's very good when a cancer patient gains vs. loses. She had not lost weight to look skinny. The only time she was skinny was when I got her off the farm. She was 51 pounds and her racing weight was 58. That's skinny!

I never say no to Polli when it comes to eating because from one day to the next I am so afraid that she may not eat but I do have to keep her at 55 although the vet said not to worry about it!

Polli is very petite. So, in all actuallity, I don't want her to gain any more weight. She looks solid- no ribs unless

that is the truth abought weight gain. we continue to exercise, and she is walking farther than ever. i just see a lot of ribs. her racing weight was 68...and she hovered around that all her life...then the cancer stole 5 pounds and she was 61 at amputation, 51 after...her and polli are so much alike in this respect its uncanny.

Edited by EmbersDad

:yay I love hearing a good report on Polli! I hope she doesn't need any more treatment for her back, but even if she does, it will all be good! I know she can't have acupuncture, but what about a chiropractor? Might that help? Sugar would get a course of pred when her back end problems flared up, but she wasn't on it continuously. I really never noticed the side effects people mentioned, except the improved appetite :) I hope this round of chemo isn't too hard on her :bighug

Guest taylorsmom

I would definitely vote for a chiropractic consult, Robin. I would bet anything that something in her lumbar spine got out of whack because of her gait post-amp. I know this can definitely be the case for humans!

Robin,

I am glad to hear the news it is not too serious and I am glad Polli is home! The back is treatable which is excellent news!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Mandy didn't do well on Pred--aside from the excessive thirst and hunger, she had a wild, frantic look in her eyes. The vet we used to see before Dr. Kellogg gave it to her and sent her to a neurosurgeon for a consult (she was doing the GSOD frequently and was barely able to walk). The neurosurgeon examined her, said the dose was way too high and wasn't helping her. Her issue turned out to be non-neurological, but was back spasms caused by the (until that time) undiagnosed corns. I'm wondering if Polli is having back spasms too, due to the shifting balance following her amp.

Anyway, I'm glad she's been eating and her weight is good. Continued good thoughts sent your way.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

. I'm wondering if Polli is having back spasms too, due to the shifting balance following her amp.

We are pretty sure that is what's going on. But now that has turned into a neurological/ bulging disk type of thing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project