Bed For Senior With Ls?

My Indy, who will be 11 next week, has mild LS and disk protrusion. He's getting wobbly. To date, I have purchased oval beds with foam sides and a cushion in the middle (which I cover with a lightweight throw as my puppers are nesters). I also have thick fleecy crate pads covered with a throw that my hounds like to stretch out on.

It's almost time to replace a few of the beds and now I'm wondering if a firm, rectangular bed might be more comfortable for Indy's back??

For those of you who have stiff old seniors or ones with back woes -- what are your observations and recommendations? What do the old hounds prefer? Thanks!

Our LS guy is only 8 (yesterday, actually) and is also a nester. But we now have every kind and shape of bed there is, I think. DH just got him a huge and very thick rectangular ortho bed from Mud Bay, and he loves it. But he spends just as much time on the other beds, and I think it's good that he's able to choose which firmness and configuration he thinks he needs at any given time. It also doesn't seem to hurt that he has to share them all with his younger brudder... just makes them all more attractive! ;)

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest OMGiluvgreys

I just lost a 15 y.o. that had LS We found that she was able to get onto beds that were little firmer and not real thick. If they were real soft and thick she would trip on them with her back legs.

My old girl didn't like the ortho bed we got (LL Bean). I don't know if was because of the firmness or because of the not-soft cover. Her favorite bed was soft with misshapen stuffing. One side of the cover was shredded so I just flipped it over. :dunno

The ortho bed cost a lot of money and Popo doesn't particularly like it, either!

Guest Greensleeves

For our old guy with LS, we bought a crib mattress, which was recommended by our vets (and infinitely cheaper than the specialty dog bed alternatives).

Our terribly arthritic girl didn't like any bed that was overly puffy. She'd sink in and get lost. :lol

Her favorite beds came from here (scroll down to the round beds): http://www.petsakes.com/index.php?p=catalo...rent=1&pg=1 She liked the 302 stuffed *inside* the 304. These beds aren't puffy or floofy, but they're not totally firm or solid like some orthopedic beds can be. They're made of a thick batting-like material that has some rigidity to it, without being too soft or too hard. One nice thing is that they're *completely* machine-washable-no covers to unzip; the whole thing just pops in the washer and dryer.

I think the 302 might be a little small for anybody bigger than a really petite female--but Nelly could curl up pretty small when she wanted to. She always looked like she thought the 304 had too much space. :lol

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We find that they have more trouble with the really plush/fluffy type beds. A futon matress or papason chair cushion makes a nice bed for the geriatric hounds with LSS. :gh_lay

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I bought a thick ortho type bed for Morgan, my 13 year old tripod with LSS. He doesn't like it. His favorite bed is an older fiberfill type bed with stuffing that's pretty flattened.

I use folded comforters as a pallet for my 13 yr old. He will definately tell me if he has nested too much and needs it straightened out. :lol Gotta love the seniors!!

Guest KennelMom

We have all kinds of beds - foam, fiber fill, comforters, round, square, etc....I don't recall Caesar, our LS boy now at the bridge, ever having a distinct preference for one type over the other. He usually slept on the sofa or just on the carpet. Our crotchety old guy Grandpa doesn't have LS, but has arthritis and is getting kinda bony from muscle loss at his age and he sleeps anywhere and everywhere, witha preferencde for the sofa with his blankie.

Hey thanks everyone for all the greyt suggestions. I think I will continue to offer a variety of bedding styles - although I know my hounds don't like poofy, round donut beds. For whatever reason, donut beds are too scary.

KyGrey - I hear you about the nesting! :P It's bad enough I have to make my own bed once a day, but it seems I am constantly rearranging Indy and Holly's beds. What a mess they make!

My Buddy has LS and will be 12 next month. For the most part, he prefers the cushy bed, but switches between that one and a 2-inch foam bed. At night when we all go upstairs, he gets up on the living room sofa (which is fairly solid) and roaches for the night. FORTUNATELY, he has no protruding disks or arthritis in his back. Only LS. :(

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest Ladyluther

Luther is 15 and has arthritis in his spine. He has several types of beds..LLBean, Victoria Peak..but the one that seems easiest for him is a "Buddy Bed" style from "For Your Dogs Only" - FYDO in Berkley Ca. It is somewhat firm, not ortho, and is not thick - but it does give him some good support. The large size is larger than most and wider too. This gives him a easier turning radius when going round n' round to settle, more room to stretch out, and gives him good footing when he gets up.

Their customer service is excellent too.

Guest Greensleeves
He will definately tell me if he has nested too much and needs it straightened out. :lol

Awww... :wub: This was one of my favorite of Whistler's quirks. He'd get frustrated working the beds, until Mommy stepped in and fixed everything nice and smooth again, then he'd plop down with a relieved sigh. :wub:

Hey thanks everyone for all the greyt suggestions. I think I will continue to offer a variety of bedding styles - although I know my hounds don't like poofy, round donut beds. For whatever reason, donut beds are too scary.

KyGrey - I hear you about the nesting! :P It's bad enough I have to make my own bed once a day, but it seems I am constantly rearranging Indy and Holly's beds. What a mess they make!

And I thought Molly had her quirks. :lol Lee will stand and bark at me until I figure out what he wants. He's so cute!!

He will definately tell me if he has nested too much and needs it straightened out. :lol

Awww... :wub: This was one of my favorite of Whistler's quirks. He'd get frustrated working the beds, until Mommy stepped in and fixed everything nice and smooth again, then he'd plop down with a relieved sigh. :wub:

He's such a mess! :lol Less than 3 weeks ago I thought he would never walk again so he gets pretty much anything he wants (within reason). I just love my old man. :) He will not only give a big sigh but a grumble and grunt when he finally gets comfy.

Edited by KyGrey

Guest Greensleeves

Ok, while we're hijacking: can anyone explain why my pack seems to have a pathological need to nest on *my* bed and *my* sofa... but somehow, the beds inside their crates (where they sleep and hang out) are always just exactly right and never need any adjustment whatsoever?

Why is that? I call it deeply suspicious, if you ask me.

Can I sorta hijack my own thread??! All these responses make me smile :wub: But speaking of grumbling and grunting, when my female Holly finally gets situated after circling and wadding up her bed and blanket just so, she lets out a big, soft groan. Melts my heart every time. :inlove

And I think sometimes he lets out a big groan while looking at me while he's lying down just to see if I notice. I keep wondering where the last 4 years have gone. :huh He was only 9 when I adopted him.

Ok, while we're hijacking: can anyone explain why my pack seems to have a pathological need to nest on *my* bed and *my* sofa... but somehow, the beds inside their crates (where they sleep and hang out) are always just exactly right and never need any adjustment whatsoever?

Why is that? I call it deeply suspicious, if you ask me.

I don't know. Molly has to sometimes nest the blanket on the couch. I have to tell her to share also. I love all my puppers but the greys are just so different. :wub: