Tail Laceration

Coco dove after a cat on a walk three nights ago; I don't know how he did it, but he managed to get a 2" laceration midway up his tail. It's almost parallel to the length of the tail, with a bit of a spiral. I think he got it caught on an old car's fender and ripped it open.

I've washed it out with dilute povidone solution and kept it clean; there's no sign of infection, and the EMT Gel seems to protect the wound. I'm just debating whether stitches would do any good- or *would* have done any good as it's been so long. It seems a tough spot to treat with anything; he can't get to it with his muzzle-and-tape combination, and it's well protected.

Any pointers as to anything else I can do?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

FWIW, when Batman sliced his, nobody tried to stitch it. Vet just cleaned it well, pushed the edges together, and wrapped it. Butterfly bandage or two might be of use in your case?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, he's cranky about wearing a muzzle all the time, but the wound seems to be doing quite well. I just need him to leave it alone; he's a world-class injury exacerbater, and he's taken off all four bandages I put on there. So for now, I'm just leaving it open and muzzling him so he'll leave it alone.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I do the same anytime I can - the air allows more healing than wrapping it. They get used to the muzzle, and in a few days it will heal up enough to take the muzzle off.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest vahoundlover
Well, he's cranky about wearing a muzzle all the time, but the wound seems to be doing quite well. I just need him to leave it alone; he's a world-class injury exacerbater, and he's taken off all four bandages I put on there. So for now, I'm just leaving it open and muzzling him so he'll leave it alone.

That's what I would do too.

I have 2 who think it's a lovely game to outwit mom and bandages. <_<

Looking back....glue probably would have helped (depending on the size) but hey, it will heal eventually. :P Tails can be such a pain to heal so hang in there. Sounds like you are doing everything that you can.