Senior Foster

The more I read GreyTalk the more I realize the wealth of knowledge and experience out there. My new foster is 12. I would like some advice as far as special diets or anything that I should do different for this old boy. He is in good health, his teeth are all there and are stained and worn,but no gum problems. He is a bouncing energetic boy. He has more energy than my 6 year old. He is currently eating Purina ProPlan Large Breed lamb and rice. (My rescue group uses the points). He has his jammies to keep him warm and a coat for cold days. Any thing else I need to do?? Val

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Guest KennelMom

There's really nothing special...a joint supplement is about all our seniors get different from the young 'uns. At 12 they start to tire sooner than younger dog, so I wouldn't commit him to a 5 mile walk or anything like that. For your average pet life, you won't see much difference with a healthy, happy 12 year old.

If you have any slippery floors (linoleum, hardwood, etc.), might want to watch how he does on them and put down some nonskid rugs if need be. Sometimes as a pup gets older, he or she loses some flexibility, and that can make it harder to negotiate slippery floors.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

Sounds like he is doing very well! :colgate If you ever buy more jammies, invest in easy on/off styles if you don't already have some like that. You could do glucosamine supplements. That's about all I can think of for now.

Diet is a case by case basis. I have my 13 yr old non grey on reduced fat grain free kibble by Core, with some gluten free rice mixed in. This recipe is tailored to his needs. (ear infections being a biggie) for him. Henry is about 9, and doing well on homecooked. Again, his diet is tailored to his needs. (used to have re-occuring diarrhea, also has epilepsy)

ETA: Yes, what BatMom said, I cant believe I forgot that! Skid free rugs are a very good idea. When a dog gets injured at this age, it takes a bit longer to heal. Keep nails trimmed too. This makes slippery floors/icy sidewalks easier to do.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

If he's doing well on the ProPlan, keep it up. He may get an upset tummy if you start changing.

I love the old men...do you have any pics?

I agree. Nothing to add but glucosomine if you are not already and plenty of TLC!!!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest dwolfe711

He sounds like he's in good shape for an old guy - if he's doing well and eating well I wouldn't change his diet. We've always given our seniors supplements. Only thing I can add is love, love, love!!

Donna

Thanks, Val, for giving that "mature" guy such a good home! Give him some time to settle in before making any changes or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Does "he" have a name?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks, Val, for giving that "mature" guy such a good home! Give him some time to settle in before making any changes or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Does "he" have a name?

His Name was Trojan, but we changer it to Troy. I hope to have a picture soon. Val

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)